News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2009

Started by fhdz, March 23, 2009, 11:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Rawr.

Thanks to a community center membership acquired Friday night, SFG, the kids and I spent the whole weekend in the pool. I'm working on repairing the lung damage caused by so many years of smoking; my current (meager) swimming goal is to be able to swim a half-mile (18 laps) without pausing.  Half a mile is the swimming portion of a sprint-distance triathlon.  Right now I can swim 14 laps but I have to pause for about thirty seconds after every two laps to catch my breath.  I also played some basketball with SFG's son on Saturday.

Right after I get paid next Tuesday, I'm going to FitRight NW and getting some running shoes.  When my tiny tax refund comes in, I'm going to be getting a bicycle off of Craigslist.

I'm also going to be doing yoga classes two mornings a week at the community center.  It's about three blocks away from where I live now. :)
and the horse you rode in on

BuddhaRhubarb

My goal this year is to bring some heavier activity into my daily routine. Haven't decided on a gym or anything yet. slowly working up to it. I've been sedentary so long. harder thing for me to change than diet. Which is light years better than it was 15 months ago( and 70lbs ago)

I need to tone up... but I'm kinda scared of becoming too manly looking. Yes I'm weirder than you.
:p

FunkMonk

It's warming up around here and there's a park right across the street from my neighborhood. I've taken to running around the whole thing several times a week. Feels great.  :)

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

I am using my YMCA membership alot this year.  17 pounds of fatness have been shed.

I fell off the wagon last week because of compulsive Mount & Blade playing but this week I shall return.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

I am planning to pick up swimming again this year - will give it a try and see if it causes any problems with my prostatitis. If it will, I will go back to aerobics and similar exercises.

I am pretty much happy with my weight at the moment (I could lose about 2-3 kilos more, but it's fine where it is nonetheless) but now I need some toning around my chest, arms and stomach.

Barrister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 23, 2009, 12:21:56 PM
I need to tone up... but I'm kinda scared of becoming too manly looking. Yes I'm weirder than you.

You want lots of cardio, very little weight training.  It will build up your heart and give you some tone, without building much muscle mass.

Running is probably the easiest and cheapest way.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

fhdz

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2009, 12:36:06 PM
I am using my YMCA membership alot this year.  17 pounds of fatness have been shed.

Congrats, man! :)  I could stand to lose about 12-15 pounds, and then just tone up.

Valmy

Quote from: fahdiz on March 23, 2009, 02:37:02 PM
Congrats, man! :)  I could stand to lose about 12-15 pounds, and then just tone up.

I could stand to lose 12-15 pounds to ;)

Actually I am thinking about 30 more.  I had lots of fatness.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

fhdz

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2009, 02:41:54 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on March 23, 2009, 02:37:02 PM

I could stand to lose 12-15 pounds to ;)

Actually I am thinking about 30 more.  I had lots of fatness.

How much did you weigh when you started losing?

Valmy

Quote from: fahdiz on March 23, 2009, 02:46:28 PM

215.  I am down to 198.

I really should weigh about 175...and I want to get down around 170 so I can be allowed to go up and down a bit.  That may turn out to be too thin for me but I guess I will find out soon enough and adjust my goals accordingly.

fhdz

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2009, 02:54:30 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on March 23, 2009, 02:46:28 PM

215.  I am down to 198.

I really should weigh about 175...and I want to get down around 170 so I can be allowed to go up and down a bit.  That may turn out to be too thin for me but I guess I will find out soon enough and adjust my goals accordingly.

Makes sense.  180's just about right for me; the couple of times in the last two years I've dipped below that, people have asked me if I was feeling all right :D so I took that to mean that 180 seems to fit my frame well.  How tall are you?

Valmy

Quote from: fahdiz on March 23, 2009, 02:57:29 PM
Makes sense.  180's just about right for me; the couple of times in the last two years I've dipped below that, people have asked me if I was feeling all right :D so I took that to mean that 180 seems to fit my frame well.  How tall are you?

5'11"

When I got back from Euro land in 1998 I was at 165 and nobody said I was too thin so I think 170 should be ok.  We shall see.

fhdz

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2009, 02:58:17 PM
5'11"

When I got back from Euro land in 1998 I was at 165 and nobody said I was too thin so I think 170 should be ok.  We shall see.

Interesting.  Do you have slim shoulders?  I'm 5' 10", long torso, shortish legs.

Valmy

Quote from: fahdiz on March 23, 2009, 03:00:24 PM
Interesting.  Do you have slim shoulders?  I'm 5' 10", long torso, shortish legs.

I do have a skinny frame...not that you would know the last 10 years or so.

fhdz

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2009, 03:01:36 PM
I do have a skinny frame...not that you would know the last 10 years or so.

Gotcha.  My shoulders are pretty broad...I think that's probably why under 180 looks a little weird on me.