NZ teen sold into marriage to boyfriend's dad. Price: one pig and some nicknack.

Started by Syt, January 10, 2010, 04:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

AFP: N.Zealand teen forced to marry boyfriend's dad: report

QuoteWELLINGTON — A New Zealand teen was forced to marry her boyfriend's father and consummate the marriage after the groom gave her parents a pig and some mats as a dowry, according to a report Sunday.

The girl's mother and a man understood to be her stepfather have been charged with detaining her, "allegedly to force her to be the groom's wife and to force her to have sex with him", the Sunday Star-Times said.

The mother is also charged with assaulting her daughter twice over the marriage issue.

The report said the girl, of Tongan descent and believed to be about 17 years old, did not want to marry the man but an agreement was reached between the two families and she was obliged to honour it.

Her family was given a dowry of a large pig and expensive mats.

On her wedding night, the girl ran away to her boyfriend, understood to be the groom's son.

It was then that she was allegedly assaulted, abducted and taken back to the matrimonial home to perform her duties as a wife, the report said.

Neither the girl nor her husband could be reached for comment but her mother told the newspaper: "My family's problems are gone... I don't want to say anything."

The mother and her husband are due to reappear in court later this month facing six charges, the most serious of which carries a maximum sentence of 14 years' jail.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

██████
██████
██████