The Inauguration of the 45th U.S. President

Started by mongers, January 20, 2017, 09:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

So whilst engaging the media in a pointless argument about ratings, he's not yet found time to comment on the storms in the Southern US that have killed probably a few of his forgotten men and women.  :hmm:

Georgia storms: At least 11 dead in US state
22 January 2017

Severe weather has killed 11 people and injured 23 in the US state of Georgia, emergency officials say.

A state of emergency has been declared in seven counties in south-central Georgia, Governor Nathan Deal said.

More storms and a "tornado outbreak" are expected in northern Florida and southern Georgia, the National Weather Service says.

Four people were killed by tornadoes in Mississippi on Saturday.

The Georgia Emergency Management Agency said the 11 victims were in the southern Cook, Brooks and Berrien counties.

Seven of those killed were at a mobile home park in Cook County apparently struck by a tornado overnight.

Cook County coroner Tim Purvis said numerous mobile homes had been "levelled" before dawn on Sunday in the park near the city of Adel. He said emergency teams were still searching for survivors.

Mr Purvis estimated that the park has about 40 mobile homes in total, and roughly half were destroyed.

"These storms have devastated communities and homes in South Central Georgia, and the state is making all resources available to the impacted areas," Governor Deal said in a statement.

In Brooks County, coroner Michael Miller said two people died when an apparent tornado tossed a mobile home around 100 yards into the middle of Highway 122.

Swathes of the south-eastern United States have been hit by storms over the weekend

Full item here:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38711953

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on January 22, 2017, 01:45:07 PM
So whilst engaging the media in a pointless argument about ratings, he's not yet found time to comment on the storms in the Southern US that have killed probably a few of his forgotten men and women.  :hmm:

Fake news.  The carnage stopped at 12:11pm Friday.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

So sad!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on January 22, 2017, 01:55:13 PM

Fake news.  The carnage stopped at 12:11pm Friday.

Yeah there wasn't a storm, he probably thinks they died from too much voluntary sunbathing in the beautiful sunshine down there.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

LaCroix

trump likes the working class, not trailer poors  :P

Zanza

I think they do that on purpose to create a mindset that facts are unknowable.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on January 22, 2017, 10:07:26 AM
Nice that there was no violent behavior at the marches yesterday for Trumpites to fixate on.

Someone was shot in the middle of the Univ. of Washington campus during a rally.  All still very unclear at this point.

I like to see people taking to the streets and everything, but there's something about these inauguration protests I don't quite get.  Is it just a protest against Trump as a human being and the behavior he engaged during the campaign?  Against "Trump" as a stand-in concept for a host of negative things?  I'm sympathetic, but it just seems odd to be protesting the proper swearing-in of the lawfully elected president.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 22, 2017, 05:19:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 22, 2017, 10:07:26 AM
Nice that there was no violent behavior at the marches yesterday for Trumpites to fixate on.

Someone was shot in the middle of the Univ. of Washington campus during a rally.  All still very unclear at this point.

I like to see people taking to the streets and everything, but there's something about these inauguration protests I don't quite get.  Is it just a protest against Trump as a human being and the behavior he engaged during the campaign?  Against "Trump" as a stand-in concept for a host of negative things?  I'm sympathetic, but it just seems odd to be protesting the proper swearing-in of the lawfully elected president.0

There's some of that but it isn't the main focus. More like be on notice that we aren't going to idly sit by if you drag to drag us into the hellscape you painted (the one he uniquely is supposed to be able to save us from...).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 22, 2017, 05:19:33 PMAgainst "Trump" as a stand-in concept for a host of negative things? 

Yes, I took it as such. The fact that the big protests were not organized during the inauguration proper, but right after, made it a show of force against everything that Trump stands for.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 22, 2017, 06:46:46 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 22, 2017, 05:19:33 PMAgainst "Trump" as a stand-in concept for a host of negative things? 

Yes, I took it as such. The fact that the big protests were not organized during the inauguration proper, but right after, made it a show of force against everything that Trump stands for.

I guess my hope is that these will foster more energy for protest and organization for an anti-Trump politics, and not end up being just a way of expressing an anti-Trump identity as an end in itself.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Oexmelin

Yes, it's a legitimate concern. At least, from my position in Ivory Tower Central, it seems people are committed, or energized, into actual political organizing.
Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

Thing is, if there's one person who would be the least impressed, affected or otherwise influenced by protesters, it would be President Donald J. Trump.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 22, 2017, 08:21:31 PM
Thing is, if there's one person who would be the least impressed, affected or otherwise influenced by protesters, it would be President Donald J. Trump.

She didn't hear their voice?  Fail.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall