The Inauguration of the 45th U.S. President

Started by mongers, January 20, 2017, 09:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

After years of Tea Party protests, Republicans have again decided that dissent is unpatriotic.  They have also taken the paradoxical position that the liberals are cry-babies for complaining about the election outcome while at the same time claiming they only lost the popular vote due to massive invisible voter fraud and claim a "rigged" system.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on January 24, 2017, 02:34:42 AM
Are we seriously talking about the car, the ONE car, that was damaged during the protests?  :lol:

We are talking about RIOTS!  Even anti-Trumpsters who cannot even protest without 0.00001% of them breaking the law.

Time to ban public protests, because they trigger Spicey and invade his Safe Space.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

frunk

Quote from: derspiess on January 23, 2017, 11:19:58 PM
So the non-rioting protesters get a mulligan on this one?

The protesters that inflicted property damage don't get a mulligan.  The protesters that didn't inflict damage don't need a mulligan because they didn't do anything wrong.

So no mulligans for anyone.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 22, 2017, 08:21:31 PM
Thing is, if there's one person who would be the least impressed, affected or otherwise influenced by protesters, it would be President Donald J. Trump.

I completely disagree with this. Trump hates the idea that people don't like him. It's why he has to believe that he won the popular vote, why he couldn't bring himself to fire Lewandowski, etc. He cannot stand the idea that people don't like him, so he creates a reality where they do. He doesn't actually care about these people so much as he cares that these people adore him.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

jimmy olsen

Quote from: frunk on January 24, 2017, 08:25:50 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 23, 2017, 11:19:58 PM
So the non-rioting protesters get a mulligan on this one?

The protesters that inflicted property damage don't get a mulligan.  The protesters that didn't inflict damage don't need a mulligan because they didn't do anything wrong.

So no mulligans for anyone.

:yes:

This is obvious
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

LaCroix

Quote from: merithyn on January 24, 2017, 09:21:43 AMI completely disagree with this. Trump hates the idea that people don't like him. It's why he has to believe that he won the popular vote, why he couldn't bring himself to fire Lewandowski, etc. He cannot stand the idea that people don't like him, so he creates a reality where they do. He doesn't actually care about these people so much as he cares that these people adore him.

this is a better argument

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on January 24, 2017, 09:21:43 AM
Thing is, if there's one person who would be the least impressed, affected or otherwise influenced by protesters, it would be President Donald J. Trump.

I completely disagree with this. Trump hates the idea that people don't like him. It's why he has to believe that he won the popular vote, why he couldn't bring himself to fire Lewandowski, etc. He cannot stand the idea that people don't like him, so he creates a reality where they do. He doesn't actually care about these people so much as he cares that these people adore him.

I think Meri nails it.

Trump likely doesn't even care about whether people do as he says, as long as they loudly proclaim that he is right and they will do as he says.

Then they can go off and do pretty much whatever the fuck they want, as long as they make sure to return and give him the credit and tell him how awesome he is on some regular basis.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Forgot to mention, last Friday some dude we had never seen before wandered into the brewery that had the inauguration party.  While we were discussing the election he proudly proclaimed that he always voted in both primaries.  Room went silent and I told him, "You might want to lay low for a while-- because you're probably guilty of voter fraud."
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on January 24, 2017, 10:05:47 AM

I think Meri nails it.

Trump likely doesn't even care about whether people do as he says, as long as they loudly proclaim that he is right and they will do as he says.

Then they can go off and do pretty much whatever the fuck they want, as long as they make sure to return and give him the credit and tell him how awesome he is on some regular basis.

Of course. This is all part of his narcissism. Hell, I was married to a guy just like this. Reality is only as important as it shows them to be superior in every way. Of course, Trump has taken this to new heights; Gold Level, you could say.

frunk

grumbler

I disagree. I think that Trump revels in the idea that people he doesn't like don't like him; he sees his enemies as a vindication for his way of thinking.  It's okay to have people who don't like him because it proves that there are bad people in the world.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on January 24, 2017, 10:29:51 AM

I disagree. I think that Trump revels in the idea that people he doesn't like don't like him; he sees his enemies as a vindication for his way of thinking.  It's okay to have people who don't like him because it proves that there are bad people in the world.

Okay. I'll agree with that. I think it's a combination thereof. The Press and The Intelligence Community are the Bad People(tm) whom he revels in their distaste. But it's incredibly important to him to believe that The People adore him. He has to believe that the masses think he's great.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on January 24, 2017, 10:34:33 AM
Okay. I'll agree with that. I think it's a combination thereof. The Press and The Intelligence Community are the Bad People(tm) whom he revels in their distaste. But it's incredibly important to him to believe that The People adore him. He has to believe that the masses think he's great.

Correct.  the elites hate him and the masses love him, in TrumpLalaLand.  Any member of the masses that doesn't like Trump is No true Member of the Masses.

But Trump thinks the elites* are far less intelligent than he, so that he can use them.  He'll tell the elites to their face that he loves them, and only troublemakers say otherwise, but to the masses he'll reveal his contempt for those same elites.

* other than those genius enough to recognize his genius and devote themselves to him

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

trump revels in the hatred of people who dislike him, or who he sees as having slighted him. that doesn't bar him from wanting the average person to like him. those on his side, he could want them to like him. it's an interesting point I hadn't considered. I'm not sure I'm willing to say trump literally cannot care about someone -- some of his children, for example, but like I said it's definitely a better argument than the previous one