News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I'm going to tell you guys, Trump's presidency is much worse than I thought it would be.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Clearly I've hit some sort of hot button for grumbler as he keeps calling me out.

Hey, grumbler? Special note just for you: I don't care about your opinion of my opinion. No really, I don't.

I believe that the people who are angry have every right to be angry. I believe that every black person in this country has the right to take that anger out however they see fit.

Do I want to see damage to businesses? No. Do I fret over that damage right now? No. Does that make me evil? No. It means that I've witnessed the fear in the eyes of a 12-year-old black boy for "upsetting" a white woman. It means that I've watched black men go out of their way in their COVID masks to not be scary to this obviously-middle-class white woman because they don't know what will happen to them if I get scared. I've seen first hand what racism is doing to the black men and women in my community and in my circle of friends, and it's made me sick to my stomach. And I've wondered for years when this explosion was going to happen. It's taken longer than I thought it would.

Do I condone it? Nope. Do I understand it? Yes. Do I care if you understand or agree with my opinion? Not in the least.

You keep doing you, boo. I'll keep doing me.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Habbaku

The only winning move with grumbler is to realize he isn't real.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Quote from: Habbaku on June 01, 2020, 10:47:47 PM
The only winning move with grumbler is to realize he isn't real.

He's a pigment of the imagination.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

However I do think he is correct here.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 01, 2020, 10:34:52 PM
I'm going to tell you guys, Trump's presidency is much worse than I thought it would be.

Things were going...bad...bad but about what I expected until this year. Now things are a total dumpster fire. I was really hoping we woud somehow make it to 2021 without really bad shit happening but my hopes have been dashed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on June 01, 2020, 10:40:57 PM
I believe that the people who are angry have every right to be angry. I believe that every black person in this country has the right to take that anger out however they see fit.

People are absolutely entitled to feel angry - or any emotion that they might have.  Nobody needs to justify their emotions.

But just because you feel strongly, powerfully about something, doesn't give you the right to do whatever you'd like about it so you can feel better.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

The right to swing your fist ends the second it connects with somebody else's face. I do not think anybody has the right to violate other people's rights.

But that is just me.

Some circumstances might call for violating the human rights of other innocent people. I don't know, but I do know that not everybody looting and causing destruction is an angry black person.

Finally the issue here is the murder of George Floyd and the completely predictable result of fucking up the aftermath. If that was handled differently we would not be talking about riots and protests. The police departments across the nation might want to someday learn that lesson.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Bear in mind the President was terrified enough of the peaceful protestors to unleash tear gas on them to clear his path. No violence was required to get his attention.

"All are welcome"

I mean...how ironic.

Admiral Yi

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/georgia-supreme-court-kemp-can-appoint-justice-blackwell-successor/UrF91MCmfGkELsbhSO8jfK/

The first report here about the Georgia governor cancelling an election was not quite accurate.

There was a petition in court to hold an election to fill a GA supreme court seat that will be vacated after the November election.  That petition was denied. 

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2020, 09:10:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 01, 2020, 08:56:05 PM
That's been my concern throughout this discussion.  I think people expect democracies to be sidelined with some crafty work of a sleazy lawyer who finds all the right technicalities, but in reality with sufficient popular support it just takes some nominal bullshit and a Putin smirk.

My concern throughout this discussion is the assumptions of people like you that US civil servants, military members, jdueges, lawyers, bureaucrats, etc are just willing to sell out their entire careers for "some nominal bullshit and a Putin smirk."  If you are right and I am wrong, then there's nothing to defend in the US or western system, and your dire predictions may as well come about this as next year, since nothing can save the system you describe for more than a year or so.

Personally, I think it is just that you, Timmay, CC, and others* just love to wallow in your own doomsday scenarios.

Edit: and Meri.

Unfortunately "It can't happen here" != it can't happen here. Also, your position that a democracy at risk isn't worth defending isn't universally shared.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on June 02, 2020, 02:00:06 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2020, 09:10:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 01, 2020, 08:56:05 PM
That's been my concern throughout this discussion.  I think people expect democracies to be sidelined with some crafty work of a sleazy lawyer who finds all the right technicalities, but in reality with sufficient popular support it just takes some nominal bullshit and a Putin smirk.

My concern throughout this discussion is the assumptions of people like you that US civil servants, military members, jdueges, lawyers, bureaucrats, etc are just willing to sell out their entire careers for "some nominal bullshit and a Putin smirk."  If you are right and I am wrong, then there's nothing to defend in the US or western system, and your dire predictions may as well come about this as next year, since nothing can save the system you describe for more than a year or so.

Personally, I think it is just that you, Timmay, CC, and others* just love to wallow in your own doomsday scenarios.

Edit: and Meri.

Unfortunately "It can't happen here" != it can't happen here. Also, your position that a democracy at risk isn't worth defending isn't universally shared.

I can accept the notion that the US is the least vulnerable democracy around, but that indeed doesn't make it invulnerable. And this attitude of "it can't happen here because this is America" sounds to me exactly like the British attitude toward Brexit or the pandemic.

Solmyr

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2020, 02:41:27 PM
I suspect you would find uninterrupted rule by Democrats to be pretty tiresome.  Your country needs twomultiple healthy and viable parties.

FYP

Solmyr

Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2020, 02:57:05 PM
I have no idea what this means.  How can Trump actually run a government if just a few loyalists pretend that he is still president with everyone else obeying the real president?  I note that you are avoiding answering my question about the Secret Service?  Which president do you think they will obey?

That's the point though, there wouldn't be a real president. There would be Trump and maybe some guy who claims to be the president because California voted for him.

Solmyr

Quote from: Habbaku on June 01, 2020, 05:39:34 PM
Can we please not turn this into a roleplaying forum?

Hasn't this been a roleplaying/strategy forum since its inception?