What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 02, 2020, 03:03:28 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 02, 2020, 02:00:06 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2020, 09:10:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 01, 2020, 08:56:05 PM
That's been my concern throughout this discussion.  I think people expect democracies to be sidelined with some crafty work of a sleazy lawyer who finds all the right technicalities, but in reality with sufficient popular support it just takes some nominal bullshit and a Putin smirk.

My concern throughout this discussion is the assumptions of people like you that US civil servants, military members, jdueges, lawyers, bureaucrats, etc are just willing to sell out their entire careers for "some nominal bullshit and a Putin smirk."  If you are right and I am wrong, then there's nothing to defend in the US or western system, and your dire predictions may as well come about this as next year, since nothing can save the system you describe for more than a year or so.

Personally, I think it is just that you, Timmay, CC, and others* just love to wallow in your own doomsday scenarios.

Edit: and Meri.

Unfortunately "It can't happen here" != it can't happen here. Also, your position that a democracy at risk isn't worth defending isn't universally shared.

I can accept the notion that the US is the least vulnerable democracy around, but that indeed doesn't make it invulnerable. And this attitude of "it can't happen here because this is America" sounds to me exactly like the British attitude toward Brexit or the pandemic.

Sad given no one has made such a claim of America being innately special. Well maybe Hamilcar but he was just setting up a strawman.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

I think a good litmus test of whether the military would go along with a Trump coup will be whether they will obey him now and start shooting protesting US citizens.

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on June 01, 2020, 10:47:47 PM
The only winning move with grumbler is to realize he isn't real.

:yes:

Not that anyone should be concerned with "winning."  The prize isn't so great.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Unfortunately "It can't happen here" != it can't happen here.

And when you find somebody who is arguing that, you are ready!  :)

QuoteAlso, your position that a democracy at risk isn't worth defending isn't universally shared.

It is a position so un-universal that not even I share it.  And please make your strawman arguments at least somewhat plausible; this one is so bad even I am embarrassed for you.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Quote from: Solmyr on June 02, 2020, 03:45:45 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 01, 2020, 05:39:34 PM
Can we please not turn this into a roleplaying forum?

Hasn't this been a roleplaying/strategy forum since its inception?

There's a huge difference between a roleplaying-game forum and a roleplaying forum. Grumbler's creepy asterisks verges on the latter.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on June 02, 2020, 07:40:26 AM

Unfortunately "It can't happen here" != it can't happen here.

And when you find somebody who is arguing that, you are ready!  :)

QuoteAlso, your position that a democracy at risk isn't worth defending isn't universally shared.

It is a position so un-universal that not even I share it.  And please make your strawman arguments at least somewhat plausible; this one is so bad even I am embarrassed for you.

If you don't remember your posts you can always go back and read them again, boomer.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on June 02, 2020, 08:25:47 AM
There's a huge difference between a roleplaying-game forum and a roleplaying forum. Grumbler's creepy asterisks verges on the latter.

:lol:   What are you drinking this early in the morning?  Creepy asterisks?

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on June 02, 2020, 09:04:03 AM
If you don't remember your posts you can always go back and read them again, boomer.

I remember my posts quite clearly, boomer, and if you think you can quote me as saying that a democracy at risk isn't worth defending, I invite you to try.

But you might want to consider the First Rule of Holes.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on June 02, 2020, 09:43:54 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 02, 2020, 09:04:03 AM

I remember my posts quite clearly, boomer, and if you think you can quote me as saying that a democracy at risk isn't worth defending, I invite you to try.

But you might want to consider the First Rule of Holes.

I realized back in 2003 that trying to have a detailed discussion with you isn't worth it. So I'm happy to discuss things with you, but I'll pass on explaining the details.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on June 02, 2020, 09:46:11 AM

I realized back in 2003 that trying to have a detailed discussion with you isn't worth it. So I'm happy to discuss things with you, but I'll pass on explaining the details.

:D  Not a very graceful concession, but I'll take it.

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on June 02, 2020, 09:49:46 AM

Words never to be spoken by Joe Biden.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on June 02, 2020, 09:49:46 AM

You appear confused.

Habbaku

He dodders a bit. Best to avoid, Brain, but I think you already know that.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Trump holds a Bible like it burns his hands to touch it.

For those inclined to that belief system, seems to me Trump would be a pretty good fit for the Antichrist. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson