Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on August 13, 2016, 08:22:07 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 13, 2016, 05:12:58 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 13, 2016, 03:54:01 AM
Has any of you ever met/hanged out with an Olympian? Just curious. One of my high school classmates won a silver medal in the 2000s Olympics (men's football). I had the honor of helping him cheat his university admission exams...

Who? Gabri? Luque? Toni Velamazán?

Unai Bergara.

Injuries destroyed his career, sadly.

The name vaguely rings a bell but I wouldn't be able to say anything about him. Reading his wiki page it seems that after 2000/01 he couldn't do much at the top level because of injuries, such a pity. Are you in touch with him? What is he up to? I always wonder what former footballers that don't achieve stardom do once they retire.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on August 13, 2016, 10:50:01 AM
The name vaguely rings a bell but I wouldn't be able to say anything about him. Reading his wiki page it seems that after 2000/01 he couldn't do much at the top level because of injuries, such a pity. Are you in touch with him? What is he up to? I always wonder what former footballers that don't achieve stardom do once they retire.

Not directly but we still have common acquaintances. He works in player representation.

In case you're curious, this is the agency he works for: http://www.promoesport.es/es/futbolistas

Savonarola

Male gymnast should not do "Dance movements" during their floor exercises (or they should be required to dress up like Christmas elves.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

The algae infestation is spreading to the water polo pool too. How long does it take to fill such a pool? Can't they just clean it?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Liep on August 13, 2016, 11:54:29 AM
The algae infestation is spreading to the water polo pool too. How long does it take to fill such a pool? Can't they just clean it?

https://youtu.be/-q_msdWl7qE?t=10m32s

Liep

Quote from: Liep on August 13, 2016, 08:16:38 AM
A Dutch rider just managed to keep her balance after being pushed on to the rail on her bike. She rode a couple of seconds on a vertical side wall. That's insane.

I still can't believe she saved that.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Is that legal?
Cycling is more thrilling than I thought.
I actually watched a bit of Olympics today. British people can row. Funny contrast between most of the female rowers and the little one
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on August 13, 2016, 02:16:17 PM
I actually watched a bit of Olympics today. British people can row.

Once again, you fail at basic 1980's cinema competencies.  I'm sorry they didn't have electricity in your hamlet when you were little.

Liep

Is that legal?

It seems everything is legal in Keirin, but then you'd expect that it being a Japanese sport and all.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 13, 2016, 02:22:25 PM

Once again, you fail at basic 1980's cinema competencies.  I'm sorry they didn't have electricity in your hamlet when you were little.

Only toffs row.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

The Russian v Ukraine female team fencing final features some good slavic hotness.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 13, 2016, 04:11:45 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 13, 2016, 02:22:25 PM

Only toffs row.

Maybe they should have the toffs play football to, they clearly are better at winning than the peasants.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 13, 2016, 04:41:21 PM
British people don't play football. :wacko:

Osi Umenyiora was British. Well I guess he still is :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2016, 04:36:58 PM

Maybe they should have the toffs play football to, they clearly are better at winning than the peasants.

You joke but it is a genuine problem with the game. British players overwhelmingly come from the working class and below. Could be a lot of decent middle class talent being lost.
██████
██████
██████