Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

I like that the stadium booed Gatlin. No mercy for dope cheats.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

Quote from: Liep on August 14, 2016, 08:43:45 PM

I'm more than a little suspicious of the Jamaican track program, and always up for an upset, but the thought of Gatlin as the 2016 Olympic champion was not a good one. It is much better for the sport that he didn't win.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: alfred russel on August 14, 2016, 08:51:02 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 14, 2016, 08:43:45 PM

I'm more than a little suspicious of the Jamaican track program, and always up for an upset, but the thought of Gatlin as the 2016 Olympic champion was not a good one. It is much better for the sport that he didn't win.

But would be utterly hilarious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on August 14, 2016, 08:51:02 PM

Shut up.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 14, 2016, 05:39:35 PM
Still doing well. Currently ahead of China in the medals table :w00t:

Why is China doing so shyte this year?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 14, 2016, 09:21:38 PM

I can't figure that out, either.  One would think their state-sponsored super-juice labs would've been churning out Michael Phelps counterfeits like a motherfucker this year.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2016, 09:43:39 PM

I can't figure that out, either.  One would think their state-sponsored super-juice labs would've been churning out Michael Phelps counterfeits like a motherfucker this year.
Turns out the dope was counterfeit too.  :(

Eddie Teach

China's second as normal. Don't expect Beijing performances from them every time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: DGuller on August 14, 2016, 11:14:33 PM

Turns out the dope was counterfeit too.  :(

Maybe the IOC's dope-testing program is effective and working, and China decided to mostly play fair, and not try to get around the process? :unsure:

Too optimistic?  :P

Tamas

Dude, they are second only to the US. Quite obviously, their chem labs are also second only to the US.

Gups

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 14, 2016, 11:20:40 PM
China's second as normal. Don't expect Beijing performances from them every time.

GB is second at the moment. Turns out that lavishing funding on a few selected sports really does produce a competitive advantage.

Tamas

Quote from: Gups on August 15, 2016, 03:51:40 AM

GB is second at the moment. Turns out that lavishing funding on a few selected sports really does produce a competitive advantage.

Gymnastics and that jump-to-the-water-in-a-fancy-way are not sports, they are performance arts :rolleyes:

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on August 15, 2016, 03:55:01 AM
Quote from: Gups on August 15, 2016, 03:51:40 AM

Gymnastics and that jump-to-the-water-in-a-fancy-way are not sports, they are performance arts :rolleyes:

It's cycling and rowing that are really getting the medals in for GB. The Chinese seem to do well in diving, weight-lifting and ping pong. Yanks kill it on swim and gym.

celedhring

Gymnastics is a proper sport - these people push the human body to the limit when performing those acrobatics. I don't see the point in Rythmic Gymnastics, though, outside ogling cute girls dancing.