Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on August 15, 2016, 04:04:11 AM
Gymnastics is a proper sport - these people push the human body to the limit when performing those acrobatics. I don't see the point in Rythmic Gymnastics, though, outside ogling cute girls dancing.
Yeah gymnasts are always the athletes I think are most impressive. The stuff they're doing is just super-human.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

I'm getting slightly tired of the BBC's fixation on the medal table rankings.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

I'm enjoying the fact that the UK is doing well in the medal table, but also feel slightly embarrassed by my enjoyment, it feels a bit reductive, perhaps even unsporting  :Embarrass:

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 15, 2016, 06:45:04 AM
I'm enjoying the fact that the UK is doing well in the medal table, but also feel slightly embarrassed by my enjoyment, it feels a bit reductive, perhaps even unsporting  :Embarrass:

Indeed.  :bowler:

And Grumbler made a good point in the other thread or earlier in this one about the oddity of us taking pride in someone else's individual achievement.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on August 15, 2016, 07:01:13 AM

And Grumbler made a good point in the other thread or earlier in this one about the oddity of us taking pride in someone else's individual achievement.

That always bothered me about the public's take on this.

It is one thing to cheer for your nation's athletes, but it is an entirely different thing to handle their achievements as your own. The only remote connection is that they used your tax money to train (which is another issue for another day), but that's hardly justification enough to stand behind a guy/gal who dedicated his/her entire life to achieve that result and declare it "our" victory.

Valmy

It is irrational but there is nothing odd about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

I suppose that a nation's sporting prowess is a proxy for its economic, educational and cultural success - to which we all contribute as law-abiding citizens and taxpayers  :hmm:

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on August 15, 2016, 07:05:18 AM

Well that may not be an exact representation of his post, you'll have to forum search to find the words used.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 15, 2016, 07:05:18 AM

Is it that irrational though? I'd think it as irrational or rational as anything involving national pride.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 15, 2016, 07:04:53 AM

It is one thing to cheer for your nation's athletes, but it is an entirely different thing to handle their achievements as your own. The only remote connection is that they used your tax money to train (which is another issue for another day), but that's hardly justification enough to stand behind a guy/gal who dedicated his/her entire life to achieve that result and declare it "our" victory.

Do you have support that the bit in bold is happening?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

But who does that really? Nobody thinks that Justin Rose winning a gold in golf is their achievement apart from Justin Rose. It's no different to you celebrating Chelsea winning the champions league.

Valmy

That strikes me as an interesting distinction. :hmm:

Since I do a lot of genealogy people will ask me at certain points if I am proud of my heritage or if being descended from so and so filled me with pride. I always thought that was a weird question. I mean why would I be proud of them? For the most part I barely know them. But I am fond of them. We have a connection, those dead people and myself, and it is an enjoyable way to tie myself into something I love which is history. But to actually be proud of them? I always found that a weird question. I mean there are many who did things I wouldn't approve of if they were done today.

So perhaps it is similar here. I really enjoy sports and fanboying over the best athletes and the communal and tribal enjoyment of it all. But I know that does not have a lot to do with me.

In the Olympics though sometimes I think it is a vindication of our University athletics system which comes under so much scrutiny here in the US. But look at how many people from so many countries are achieving greatness in athletics who came through that system? Surely that is part of the role of a University is to help humans attain greatness? I mean even with all the politics and doping and shit going on. But even here I didn't have much to do with setting up that system :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on August 15, 2016, 07:17:40 AM

But who does that really? Nobody thinks that Justin Rose winning a gold in golf is their achievement apart from Justin Rose. It's no different to you celebrating Chelsea winning the champions league.

Yep.

Tamas

Quote from: Gups on August 15, 2016, 07:17:40 AM

There is a big difference.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 15, 2016, 07:09:27 AM
I suppose that a nation's sporting prowess is a proxy for its economic, educational and cultural success - to which we all contribute as law-abiding citizens and taxpayers  :hmm:

Which is the exact reasoning why the shittier the everday life of the average citizen is, the more the ruling regime emphasizes and pushes the national sport achievements.