Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

jimmy olsen

Does all this political chaos mean a new election before October? If so, is it possible someone running on a stay in the EU platform could win?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Agelastus on June 27, 2016, 06:06:06 PM
Well, the 16th (Irish) Division did fight at the Somme as well as the 36th (Ulster) Division, albeit not on the First Day; given the composition of the 16th and the general significance awarded to 100 year anniversaries I'd almost be more surprised by him not going.

I am sure many Irish men died on the Somme. It was just it was always the glorious moment for the Ulster Division and I wasn't sure that Ireland generally commemorated the service Irishmen had made in the service of the UK.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 27, 2016, 06:16:11 PM
Does all this political chaos mean a new election before October? If so, is it possible someone running on a stay in the EU platform could win?

Sure. It has been mentioned before. It would seem kind of farcical though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Well on the bright side, my intelligence and mental health have increased relative to the plague of stupidity and insanity that seems to be infecting the West.  A few more years of this, and people will start to look to people like me for leadership.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on June 27, 2016, 03:54:11 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 27, 2016, 03:46:34 PM
Since so far Obama's comments are proving prophetic, and if anything underselling, hard to see how one could criticize.

He antagonised a significant section of the UK population who don't like being told what to do by a Yank*.

* apologise for using the word, but that's what would typically be used to describe in his apparently high-handed approach.

Don't even go there.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2016, 06:52:18 PM
Since so far Obama's comments are proving prophetic, and if anything underselling, hard to see how one could criticize.

He antagonised a significant section of the UK population who don't like being told what to do by a Yank*.

* apologise for using the word, but that's what would typically be used to describe in his apparently high-handed approach.

Don't even go there.

No, they just don't like darkies telling them what to do.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Don't even go there.

I'm not, but more than a few Brit Leavers said that or as much or indeed a great deal more; don't shoot the messenger.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2016, 07:05:17 PM
Don't even go there.

No, they just don't like darkies telling them what to do.

No shit, right?

Admiral Yi

Leavers had the same reaction to anybody who said things were not going to be totally ossum.  It may be personal, or indicative of some underlying hostility, but I don't think you can tell that for sure just based on the out refeyendum thing debate thing.

OttoVonBismarck

The 13 colonies knew they needed buy in of more than just an absolute majority to forge a new nation, so it was set at 9, and they pushed damn hard for all 13.

Britain is founded on a very different principle--that of the biggest, most powerful, ruling over the others. That worked because the English frankly were willing to brutally insure it be the case for hundreds of years, until they weren't anymore. And now the country will eventually cease to exist entirely.

Strict majoritarianism is a fine way to run things, but it will guarantee exactly what is happening to the UK when you have sub-national units that feel disenfranchised.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2016, 07:10:29 PM
Leavers had the same reaction to anybody who said things were not going to be totally ossum.  It may be personal, or indicative of some underlying hostility, but I don't think you can tell that for sure just based on the out refeyendum thing debate thing.

I'm challenging Mongers' statement that President Obama "antagonised a significant section of the UK population who don't like being told what to do by a Yank" when, in actuality, he stated during the press conference portion of his state visit in April that since the Leavers "...are voicing an opinion about what the United States is going to do, I figured you might want to hear from the president of the United States what I think the United States is going to do."   

He was representin', and trafficked in the truth.  They don't like being told what to do?  That's just too goddamned bad.  They can go fuck themselves in their racist cuntfuck asses with their letters to Clark County. 

:frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: *

*And that's only because we don't have a smiley wearing a goddamned Pickelhaube.  Fucking mutts.

Admiral Yi

You seem to be fabricating a disagreement where none exists.

Jacob

According to this, article 50 needs a bill to pass in parliament. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be a confidence motion, so unless the Tory whip of the new PM is effective the UK could see a general election on the issue: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-loophole-eu-referendum-mps-law-legal-legislation-constitution-a7105181.html

Jacob

Also, apparently, it's "public knowledge" that JP Morgan has secured long term leases on 4 buildings in Madrid and 6 in Frankfurt, for what it's worth.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2016, 07:34:45 PM
You seem to be fabricating a disagreement where none exists.

It's Languish, it's what we live for and banning marty.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".