Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2016, 07:50:10 AM
Corbyn reportedly asking if the SNP or Greens will join his shadow cabinet :blink:

:lol:

Communist meltdowns are fun to watch.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2016, 07:37:03 AM
Markets seem to be out of the knee jerk phase (hopefully) European banks looking very shaky. Rumours of rescue package in Rome. Anyone know why such a big problem for them? General uncertainty on top of pre-existing weaknesses ? Higher cost of funds without London? It seems odd :mellow:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b5a0579a-3c48-11e6-8716-a4a71e8140b0.html#axzz4CsWxC81F

QuoteItaly is eyeing a multibillion-euro rescue of its ailing banks, using the market turbulence triggered by the UK's Brexit vote as an excuse to sidestep strict rules against state support for lenders.

Following a further hit on Italian bank shares in the wake of the UK referendum, Matteo Renzi, Italian premier, has resurrected ideas to shore up a sector that is fast becoming one the eurozone's weakest links, say bankers and officials.

Italy's previous bailout plans have met with deep scepticism from officials in Brussels and Berlin, who see no legal route around Europe's tough new bail-in rules. Designed in the wake of the eurozone crisis, they push the burden of bank rescues on to private creditors rather than taxpayers.

Italy's quandary over its banks — and what critics see as Rome's unwillingness to confront structural problems — is proving to be a drag on the eurozone's recovery. It is also one of the biggest impediments to the ambition of completing a euro area banking union that would make its lenders more resilient.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2016, 07:57:26 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 28, 2016, 07:30:58 AM
I've realised I can get the best of both worlds if I can grab myself a UK citizenship before the far-right deports me, while holding on to my Hungarian citizenship as well! :w00t:

Is Hungarian citizenship part of any good world, let alone best world? :hmm:

It is the ONLY world.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 28, 2016, 07:59:57 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2016, 07:57:26 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 28, 2016, 07:30:58 AM
I've realised I can get the best of both worlds if I can grab myself a UK citizenship before the far-right deports me, while holding on to my Hungarian citizenship as well! :w00t:

Is Hungarian citizenship part of any good world, let alone best world? :hmm:

It is the ONLY world.

:console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Markets seem to be out of the knee jerk phase (hopefully) European banks looking very shaky. Rumours of rescue package in Rome. Anyone know why such a big problem for them? General uncertainty on top of pre-existing weaknesses ? Higher cost of funds without London? It seems odd :mellow:

Never let a good crisis go to waste.

garbon

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Larch on June 28, 2016, 08:11:14 AM

Never let a good crisis go to waste.

There are new fortunes being made from all the market volatility of course.

Ed Anger

farage in the Euro Parliament today. :wub:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 28, 2016, 08:16:49 AM
farage in the Euro Parliament today. :wub:

I liked the part where very few MEPs have ever had a real job :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Well they are MEPs so they still don't.

But I don't see how that is a particular clever or funny burn. :mellow: I mean people have been making that joke about politicians for thousands of years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2016, 08:47:13 AM

Well they are MEPs so they still don't.

But I don't see how that is a particular clever or funny burn. :mellow: I mean people have been making that joke about politicians for thousands of years.

His delivery was better than mine :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

OttoVonBismarck

I think because of the perception MEPs are wholly irrelevant in the world makes them seem like even greater do-nothing bureaucrats than typical politicians.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 28, 2016, 08:52:32 AM
I think because of the perception MEPs are wholly irrelevant in the world makes them seem like even greater do-nothing bureaucrats than typical politicians.

Well it is also the only position Farage has ever had so he would know.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on June 28, 2016, 06:41:40 AM
My dad is half Irish. 
I even lived over there a bit when I was a baby.
Only trouble is his mother was born after the family moved to England and was never registered as being Irish (afaik. ... I should give it a serious check. The family story says they were loyalists who left because of serious disagreements with the power that be so.... I doubt it)

Ok. New plan for survival.
Get my dad to register as Irish through his grandad.
I have a kid (that's the hard part), register it as Irish through its grandad (my dad).
Claim Irish citizenship myself on account of being the parent of an Irish baby
What could possibly go wrong?

Is your grandma Irish or not? If she has Irish citizenship you can get it as well.