Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 07:15:09 PM
Legally this referendum isn't technically binding is it? I understand it's "viewed" as politically binding. But what happens if Cameron refuses to execute it and he maintains enough support in commons to remain PM? If he steps down and a new election is held and the Farage/Johnson types can't win a government could parliament not simply refuse to do anything about this referendum?
Then they would be able to refuse to do anything. Parliament is sovereign.

Legally the referendum isn't binding because we have a sovereign Parliament, practically, politically, there is no way that Parliament will ignore that.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Interesting results, looks like we might be leaving. I'm very interested in the Broxbourne vote, I would have thought it was too comfortable a place to have such a big leave vote, never been there so I may have the wrong image of the place.

mongers

South Tyneside votes Leave 62%-38%.

It's like the places the denizens of the Westminster bubble forgot about are biting back.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2016, 07:17:48 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 07:11:13 PM
God Labour are in trouble :(

Why do you say that?
Looks like the turnout in Labour areas is higher and it looks like that is because of Leave voters.

I'm not sure that Labour, having just watched Angela Eagle, has an answer to that. And it's striking that this is the one area that moderate Labour MPs forced a change on Corbyn. It equally looks like turnout in comfortable, remain-ish Tory areas may be lower than normal and it's voters you'd expect to remain who stayed at home.

It's very, very early - but I think we're on our way out.

Edit: It looks like non-voters are turning out and there's a big class element and working class voters are saying Leave. That's a problem for Labour. It was dismissed by a lot of people when it was suggested that UKIP might be more of a threat to Labour than the Tories - I think it's happening now.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 07:22:57 PM
Interesting results, looks like we might be leaving. I'm very interested in the Broxbourne vote, I would have thought it was too comfortable a place to have such a big leave vote, never been there so I may have the wrong image of the place.

I'm in the New Forest, a similarly well-off area and I've just heard leave sentiment* all the time.

* polite word, there arguments haven't been especially reasoned.

Richard Hakluyt

Why do you say that?

It looks like hardly anyone in the UK subscribes to their political views.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 07:25:37 PM

Looks like the turnout in Labour areas is higher and it looks like that is because of Leave voters.

I'm not sure that Labour, having just watched Angela Eagle, has an answer to that. And it's striking that this is the one area that moderate Labour MPs forced a change on Corbyn. It equally looks like turnout in comfortable, remain-ish Tory areas may be lower than normal and it's voters you'd expect to remain who stayed at home.

It's very, very early - but I think we're on our way out.

I'll activate my 2016 Summer UK crisis thread then, shall I?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 07:26:31 PM

Why do you say that?

Europe looks like another issue that is London, Brighton, Bristol, Oxbridge + Scotland against the rest of the country. Who said class was dead? :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

A Northern Ireland leave result - Lagan 53.1-46.9.

A DUP area, but I had thought Northern Ireland was supposed to be solidly remain (from the absurdly limited amount of polling done that included Northern Ireland, admittedly.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

OttoVonBismarck

I'm not quite sure why Britain voted after Obama noted his opposition to leave. I feel this repudiation of America's authority is unacceptable.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 07:29:44 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 07:26:31 PM

Why do you say that?

Europe looks like another issue that is London, Brighton, Bristol, Oxbridge + Scotland against the rest of the country. Who said class was dead? :P

Those on the right side of the class divide.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on June 23, 2016, 07:29:54 PM
A Northern Ireland leave result - Lagan 53.1-46.9.

A DUP area, but I had thought Northern Ireland was supposed to be solidly remain (from the absurdly limited amount of polling done that included Northern Ireland, admittedly.)
Apparently UUP (all five of them) were 60% in favour of Leave. I think it's a unionist/nationalist divide plus sensible moderates who know Northern Ireland really needs to stay in the EU.

Foyle was about 70% remain - mostly nationalists but some less sectarian votes too I imagine.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 07:30:33 PM
I'm not quite sure why Britain voted after Obama noted his opposition to leave. I feel this repudiation of America's authority is unacceptable.

I'd say fully 2/3 of the country thought his intervention arrogant and wrong.

OttoVonBismarck

All joking aside, while I opposed leave as an American (I think a united Europe is better for our interests, both politically and economically) and I think remaining is better for the UK economically, I can't deny strong sympathies for leave. As someone disconnected it's easy to lean one way out of economic self-interest, but there is more to life than the economy. There's a strong, in my opinion, political argument that for the EU to really work it needs its members all in, or not in. I think the "limbo" that the UK has been in ever since it negotiated out of being part of things like the Eurozone and etc isn't ideal politically for either party (but again, it's beneficial economically.) I personally am a big believer in the sovereignty of states, and I'd oppose the U.S. giving up its sovereignty in the way Britain has--regardless of the economic benefits. So I do think if Britain as a country doesn't want to be all in akin to France and Germany, that leave may represent a genuine British desire for political independence and sovereignty, and I think there's value in that, if it's what the people want, regardless of the market reaction.