Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

Isle of Scilly 56% Remain - 46% Leave, but that's the smallest 'constituency'
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

I'm betting Swindon goes Leave.

edit:
Leave 55% - vs Remain 45%.

Agelastus

Broxbourne massively for leave.

And Foyle's turnout's a lot lower than the Mainland's average; is that being replicated across Northern Ireland or is Foyle an outlier within the region?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

mongers

Quote from: Agelastus on June 23, 2016, 06:58:22 PM
Broxbourne massively for leave.

And Foyle's turnout's a lot lower than the Mainland's average; is that being replicated across Northern Ireland or is Foyle an outlier within the region?

Don't know, we need a N.Ireland expert.

Maybe Remain complacency amongst voters.

edit:
Broxbourne is a massive 66%-34%, is it also massive in terms of indicating the movement in the country.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on June 23, 2016, 06:48:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 23, 2016, 06:33:48 PM
Quote from: Martim Silva on June 23, 2016, 10:34:43 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 23, 2016, 10:32:58 AM
What's he on about?  Not Tyr, MS.

To put it in the simplest way possible, again:

The UK is not allowed to leave the EU and will not do so.

Period.

You mean the EU is going to invade Britain?  Cause that only way they can prevent a Britain determined to leave.

He means it wouldn't be cricket. I guess the idea that a country could be bound by a code of conduct is beyond you Americans.

Nations are bound by treaties and laws, not insects.  Except for Bangladesh.  They have bugs all over.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on June 23, 2016, 05:08:50 PM
Hmm. Picking a statistically significant number of demographically representative polling stations should be possible, no? It's possible in other countries. And unlike the general election, the question is much easier and there is just a single huge constituency.
Yeah but we don't have referendums often, so regional turnout etc is hugely unpredictable.

Based on the early results it looks good-ish for leave. Sunderland is higher than you'd expect, Newcastle is tighter than you'd expect and there's lots of reports of a significantly lower turnout in Scotland.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Kettering for leave on a turnout 7% higher than the General Election turnout.

It appears that my anecdotal impression from earlier today actually understated the case.

It certainly appears that the polling companies were accurate when they said the turnout would be at or above general election levels (based on the numbers of "certain to vote" replies they were getting in the polls.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

mongers

Kettering goes 61%-39% for Leave.

Sheilbh

God Labour are in trouble :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on June 23, 2016, 07:09:22 PM
Kettering for leave on a turnout 7% higher than the General Election turnout.

It appears that my anecdotal impression from earlier today actually understated the case.

It certainly appears that the polling companies were accurate when they said the turnout would be at or above general election levels (based on the numbers of "certain to vote" replies they were getting in the polls.)
Interestingly may suggest that the 'never makes a difference' voters are turning out?
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

So how similar will the referendum results map look when compare to the loyalties in the English Civil War?  :bowler:

mongers

OttoVonBismarck

Legally this referendum isn't technically binding is it? I understand it's "viewed" as politically binding. But what happens if Cameron refuses to execute it and he maintains enough support in commons to remain PM? If he steps down and a new election is held and the Farage/Johnson types can't win a government could parliament not simply refuse to do anything about this referendum?

OttoVonBismarck

This is why I oppose referendums bitterly at the State level here and am glad they have no role in our Federal government. It's barbarism for people to have such a direct say.

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 07:15:09 PM
Legally this referendum isn't technically binding is it? I understand it's "viewed" as politically binding. But what happens if Cameron refuses to execute it and he maintains enough support in commons to remain PM? If he steps down and a new election is held and the Farage/Johnson types can't win a government could parliament not simply refuse to do anything about this referendum?

How does that happen with all of the sharpened knives already in hands.