Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 12:10:18 PM
In city-watching-exit-poll-guessing news, Deutsche have just announced a big reorganisation of their Germany commercial wing in Frankfurt :o

That's not the kind of decision made in a couple of hours in response to an exit poll.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2016, 02:11:57 PM

Hey! A water cycle requires a water cycle maker.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 02:17:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2016, 02:11:57 PM

Hey! A water cycle requires a water cycle maker.

Seriously, Tejas, the unmoved mover?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2016, 02:20:23 PM

I think the answer to the bolded part of the question is "no".

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on June 23, 2016, 02:53:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2016, 02:20:23 PM

I think the answer to the bolded part of the question is "no".

Don't front.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also WTF. It is almost over and somehow remain still managed to sneak another sticker on me.

Admiral Yi

The markets seem to be anticipating Brationality.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2016, 03:14:58 PM
The markets seem to be anticipating Brationality.

Don't underestimate us Brits ability to vote against our own best interest.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PJL

Looks like Farrage has conceded defeat and that Remain have squeaked in.

Agelastus

And the Tory party is already closing ranks (witness the "Senior Exit Tories letter" and Duncan-Smith's language concerning Nigel Farage.).
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Jacob

Quote from: Agelastus on June 23, 2016, 04:24:04 PM
And the Tory party is already closing ranks (witness the "Senior Exit Tories letter" and Duncan-Smith's language concerning Nigel Farage.).

Do you mind going into a bit more detail?

Agelastus

Apparently, every Tory Minister campaigning for leave and Boris Johnson have signed a letter to David Cameron calling on him to remain as PM and Party Leader regardless of the result. When asked, Ian Duncan-Smith stated he hadn't signed it simply because he was no longer a minister; it felt like an implication that he supported the letter (it was in his tone of voice as well.)

Although looking at it, I think IDS was being a bit disingenuous since a lot more MPs signed it than just the cabinet ministers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/23/eurosceptic-tory-mps-and-ministers-sign-letter-urging-david-came/
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

I'm going to go to sleep soon.
I pray I wake up tomorrow and the world is intact.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Why don't they do an exit poll? Those are done for every election here (not local elections of course).

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on June 23, 2016, 04:56:15 PM
Why don't they do an exit poll? Those are done for every election here (not local elections of course).

I'm told they're expensive and that hedge funds do them for private use.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.