Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

MadImmortalMan

Hedge funds have been hiring exit pollsters and markets are up.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Will the UK wake up tomorrow morning with the biggest hangover in its history?

"Damn, what Did I get up to yesterday and last night?"  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Sterling's now falling sharply :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 10:16:10 AM

This is my concern too, I think there's been few factors that have broken in Remains favour over the last few days.

Maybe the rain and flooding in the SE/London will deter less determined Brexit voters? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martim Silva

Odd that everyone is acting like this "vote" will mean anything.  :huh:

People, if by some odd accident the "leave" vote wins, it's not legally binding, Cameron will fudge some words out of any agreement with Brussels and a new referendum will be held within 6 months.

And if that one gives "leave", rinse and repeat every 3-6 months until 50%+1 vote results in a "remain" result.

Then the outcome will be declared "The Will Of The People" and set in stone, at least for a full generation.

Bottom line, Britain is not allowed to leave the EU and will not do so. What the British electorate votes for is irrelevant - The EU is not democratic nor has any intentions of following any democratic principles.

That said, let us welcome the next large wave of european immigration into Britain, so that in the next decades the country becomes so full of Europe-conscious people that we can finally put into the dustbin of History that failed national identity that was being English.

Josquius

I wish I could be so confident.
But no.

And even the threat of leave will fuck up a lot
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Martim Silva on June 23, 2016, 10:29:41 AM
Odd that everyone is acting like this "vote" will mean anything.  :huh:

People, if by some odd accident the "leave" vote wins, it's not legally binding, Cameron will fudge some words out of any agreement with Brussels and a new referendum will be held within 6 months.

And if that one gives "leave", rinse and repeat every 3-6 months until 50%+1 vote results in a "remain" result.

Then the outcome will be declared "The Will Of The People" and set in stone, at least for a full generation.

Bottom line, Britain is not allowed to leave the EU and will not do so. What the British electorate votes for is irrelevant - The EU is not democratic nor has any intentions of following any democratic principles.

That said, let us welcome the next large wave of european immigration into Britain, so that in the next decades the country becomes so full of Europe-conscious people that we can finally put into the dustbin of History that failed national identity that was being English.

Too much cynicism really does make one a fool. DG was right.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

What's he on about?  Not Tyr, MS.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martim Silva

Quote from: Razgovory on June 23, 2016, 10:32:58 AM
What's he on about?  Not Tyr, MS.

To put it in the simplest way possible, again:

The UK is not allowed to leave the EU and will not do so.

Period.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 10:16:10 AM
I'm not seeing that on xe.
But points leavewards  :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

I think the damage of ignoring the referendum result will be even higher than the damage of leaving the EU.  I mean, the UK is not a little kid.  There is no way an organisation can ignore the referendum and say, no you can't leave.  That's just not possible.  If they vote leave, they'll leave.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 23, 2016, 10:39:30 AM
I think the damage of ignoring the referendum result will be even higher than the damage of leaving the EU.  I mean, the UK is not a little kid.  There is no way an organisation can ignore the referendum and say, no you can't leave.  That's just not possible.  If they vote leave, they'll leave.

Yep.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

The best hope if we leave I think is that a lot of other countries follow our lead ASAP and then we form a neo-eu, fixing most of the errors of the previous one.
A UN to the EU's league of nations.
Only. You know. Better than the un
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on June 23, 2016, 10:42:02 AM
The best hope if we leave I think is that a lot of other countries follow our lead ASAP and then we form a neo-eu, fixing most of the errors of the previous one.
A UN to the EU's league of nations.

The problem is most reforms to the EU would seem to make it more powerful. If it had a democratic mandate it would be much more powerful than the national governments. I thought Europeans were against the idea of a federation.

I think a trade bloc combined with a military alliance is probably the best. But that would be no more democratic than what you currently have.

Berkut

The UK could join with the US. There would be some historic symmetry to that...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned