Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

celedhring

I'm quite surprised expected turnout is so low for such a momentous decision. Aren't British GE turnouts in the 60s at minimum?

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on June 22, 2016, 04:18:59 PM
I'm quite surprised expected turnout is so low for such a momentous decision. Aren't British GE turnouts in the 60s at minimum?
Yep. As he says referendums normally a few points lower.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

I read something recently by an English journo to the tune that, because Brexit is mostly supported by older folk and Remain by younger ones, a majority for Brexit would, in a way, be some kind of betrayal of the older generations against the younger ones. Is there an opinion on that in the campaigns?

Zoupa

I hope Brexit wins. De Gaulle never wanted them in. :frog:

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on June 22, 2016, 04:31:02 PM
I read something recently by an English journo to the tune that, because Brexit is mostly supported by older folk and Remain by younger ones, a majority for Brexit would, in a way, be some kind of betrayal of the older generations against the younger ones. Is there an opinion on that in the campaigns?

Interesting. Maybe old people shouldn't be allowed to vote, as it's not really about them anyway.

Monoriu

I think there is an incentive for the EU to make Brexit as painful as possible for the UK, if only to serve as a disincentive for other EU members to prevent them from leaving. 

Archy

Our Flemish food producers are getting anxious apparently the UK is their biggest market didn't know that. Also in the Belgian federation we the Phlegms are apparently more susceptible to the effects of a Brexit. Could of course be that you first need to have a working economy to feel any effects.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Monoriu on June 22, 2016, 08:14:04 PM
I think there is an incentive for the EU to make Brexit as painful as possible for the UK, if only to serve as a disincentive for other EU members to prevent them from leaving.

The voices from the EU seem to be split on this, I think it would be an error, the threats validate the views of those who want to exit.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Maladict on June 22, 2016, 06:39:49 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 22, 2016, 04:31:02 PM

Interesting. Maybe old people shouldn't be allowed to vote, as it's not really about them anyway.

If it is so important to the youth then perhaps they should take the trouble to vote  :contract:

Turnout is much lower the younger the group of voters in question.

Monoriu

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 01:26:48 AM

If it is so important to the youth then perhaps they should take the trouble to vote  :contract:

Turnout is much lower the younger the group of voters in question.

It is the same in Hong Kong.  Old people vote; young people don't.  I can only speculate, but old people may have more time on their hands. 

Richard Hakluyt

It is very easy to vote here though. The polling stations are open from 7am to 10pm, there are hardly ever any queues and if that is too much then one can always vote postally.

When I was young there was a problem with the electoral register not keeping up with my frequent movements, that is now easily resolved online, takes about 2 minutes.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 01:24:45 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 22, 2016, 08:14:04 PM

The voices from the EU seem to be split on this, I think it would be an error, the threats validate the views of those who want to exit.

True, on the other hand by then the views of the exiters would have already won, and the EU leaders would have the rest of the EU to try and keep together and keep it manageable. "Punishing" the UK by not giving it the same terms it had while inside the EU would be fundamental to that.

Let's hope it won't come to that.

Liep

When we voted no to an opt-in the no-sayers said it wouldn't be a problem at all to reach the same deal about Europol that every other EU nation had, we'd essentially be full members they said. That turned out not to be true because Juncker has basically said 'fuck you' to us.

The point is that the warning on this from the yes sayers was completely ignored, actually it was laughed off.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Richard Hakluyt

I just don't think that threats work that way, at least from a relatively benign organisation. If the UK gets punished then it is the green light for exiters throughout the union to say "look, they are repressive and attacking sovereignty". The thing to do is to appear to bend over backwards to help the UK whilst fucking us over in the back room, then the EU can say "we did everything we could to help the poor UK but their exit was still a disaster"  :P

Richard Hakluyt

The tax-evasion facilitator Juncker should fuck off out of the debate, assuming that he isn't in Putin's pay and wants the UK to leave.