Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 07:47:57 PM
Has there been any evidence SNP is going to vote leave simply because it makes their chances of independence much higher than Britain remaining in?
According to polls about a third of SNP supporters support Leave. Not clear why.

Strong result in Basildon for Leave.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 07:47:57 PM
Has there been any evidence SNP is going to vote leave simply because it makes their chances of independence much higher than Britain remaining in?

I think most wouldn't actively do that, those that want a second bit of the cherry would just vote with their slippers and not show up at the polling station.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

For some reason this election is giving me a grim feeling about our election in November, it's hard not to feel that UKIP/Leave represents a strain of nativism/angry "globalization losers", that if it could propel Britain to this could conceivably propel Trump to the White House.

Although I feel Hillary Clinton is a far tougher politician, and more effective campaigner, than Cameron has been, so it isn't directly comparable.

Sheilbh

On the other hand very surprised by Swindon being so close...
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 07:51:15 PM
For some reason this election is giving me a grim feeling about our election in November, it's hard not to feel that UKIP/Leave represents a strain of nativism/angry "globalization losers", that if it could propel Britain to this could conceivably propel Trump to the White House.

Although I feel Hillary Clinton is a far tougher politician, and more effective campaigner, than Cameron has been, so it isn't directly comparable.

Agreed, I feel this could embolden Trump supporters to really believe they can win in November.

Sheilbh

But, also from the Guardian, Hartlepool: expected Brexit vote 60% or so - actual Brexit vote 70%.

Edit: Higher turnout than a general too.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 07:51:44 PM
On the other hand very surprised by Swindon being so close...

Well it has a traditional working class, but I think its largely 'successfully' transitioned to service sector work.

Kleves

Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2016, 07:53:25 PM
Agreed, I feel this could embolden Trump supporters to really believe they can win in November.
I don't know that many Trump supporters know what the European Union is or that Britain is a member.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 07:48:44 PM
According to polls about a third of SNP supporters support Leave. Not clear why.

It probably goes back to the Sixties and Seventies when they were very anti-EU (partly on the completely logical grounds that joining the EU was incompatible with Scottish Independence.)

That third of their support is probably a large chunk of their core base that have stayed with that opinion even though their leadership has gone from anti- to tepid to pro- European.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Richard Hakluyt

They still have the vote Kleves.

mongers

Who are the 1,000 people (25%) living in the City of London who voted to leave?  :hmm:

Sheilbh

Chris Hanretty, psephology geek, expert (:ph34r: :ultra:) and academic has posted his latest prediction:
QuotePredicted probability of Britain Remaining: 0.32
(15 of 382 areas reporting.)
Predicted vote share for Remain: 48.9 percent.
(90% prediction interval: 44.5 to 53.3 percent)
:ph34r:
https://medium.com/@chrishanretty/eu-referendum-rolling-forecasts-1a625014af55#.ain5zi509
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2016, 07:57:01 PM
Who are the 1,000 people (25%) living in the City of London who voted to leave?  :hmm:
Hedgies.

Edit: Also, only a couple, but looks like Wales is voting Leave a little more strongly than I would've guessed...
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 07:56:09 PM
They still have the vote Kleves.

Yeah it only has to be a facebook 'inforgraphic' for the idea over that 'If the Brits can give a giant FU to the Elites, you can do the same to the Washington elite."

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 07:57:32 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2016, 07:57:01 PM
Hedgies.

:D