Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

alfred russel

So right now leave has a narrow lead based on a bunch of tiny places ive mostly never heard of...wont they get swamped when the london vote comes in?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2016, 07:59:24 PM
So right now leave has a narrow lead based on a bunch of tiny places ive mostly never heard of...wont they get swamped when the london vote comes in?

No.

And ironically London getting swamped earlier today may have cost Remain a few more votes.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

85% of the country doesn't live in London and we're aiming for 50%+1. So on current trends, London needs to turn out a little more strongly and a little more pro-Remain than you'd guess before hand.

So far Leave is turning out a little bit better than would be expected...

Edit: At the minute Remain is 46%, Leave is 54% - so roughly 900,000 to 1,000,000.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

London only has 9m out of 65m people, not that you would think that from the way news is covered here; which is of course part of the problem.

Agelastus

Wellingborough votes leave with a 10% higher turnout than at the last General Election.

Eastern Wales voting leave, but those areas are also the ones that vote Tory IIRC.

Rumours from earlier that the weather has dropped London's turnout 2 or 3% below the expected level based on the rest of the country.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on June 23, 2016, 08:02:38 PM
Eastern Wales voting leave, but those areas are also the ones that vote Tory IIRC.
So's South Wales, which ain't Tory :P :weep:

Blaenau Gwent and Merthyr Tydfil both strong Leave results.

QuoteRumours from earlier that the weather has dropped London's turnout 2 or 3% below the expected level based on the rest of the country.
I've seen early reports/gossip of very, very strong Remain votes in London boroughs and roughly national average turnout.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Still waiting for a big city result. If those sort of places are also voting more leave than expected then it is all done and dusted.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 08:05:02 PM
Still waiting for a big city result. If those sort of places are also voting more leave than expected then it is all done and dusted.
Or if Leave turnout is higher which looks like what's happening. So they may strongly vote Remain, but not have strongly voted enough.

By the by, it's not a good look that Labour's already blaming the SNP...
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 08:04:51 PM

That Swansea reporting area includes the Gower peninsula that went Tory at the General Election, and while Blaenau Gwent stayed Labour there were Tory inroads in that area as well IIRC.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

mongers

Suggestions are Southampton is 60-40 and Portsmouth similarly going Leave, but no results in yet from the South.

Richard Hakluyt

The protestant areas of NI are far more leave than I expected. I can't imagine what they are thinking, they face far more serious consequences than the rest of us  :hmm:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on June 23, 2016, 08:08:16 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 08:04:51 PM

That Swansea reporting area includes the Gower peninsula that went Tory at the General Election, and while Blaenau Gwent stayed Labour there were Tory inroads in that area as well IIRC.
BBC correspondent in Wales said it looks like the tide is only going one way and reporting that Swansea looks like leave which is a surprise - as a city :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Newcastle is a major city of almost 300,000 and only barely went for Remain at 51%. It probably isn't demographically representative of other large British cities, but a little silly to lump it in with "tiny places you've never heard of."

mongers

So will the mainly metropolitan based media get the reasons why the invisible people voted so strongly to Leave?

Agelastus

Sterling's dropped to 1.42 on the google tracker (from the 1.46 it had rallied to earlier.)

"Interesting" night.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be