Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Agelastus

Liverpool remain by over 16%, but with a turnout of only 64%. That's way below the average for England, at least so far. :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Liverpool :w00t:

Baffling analysis by John McDonnell there by the way.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Incidentally on London Greenwich is apparently too close to call :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Hong Kong stock market opens sharply lower on expection that the referendum is lost :weep:

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 08:29:08 PM
But pretty terrifying for as someone who has worried for a while that we're splitting into different countries/cultures. How do we get back from this?
You can't.  As people have lost faith in experts and elites, as they have come to feel that their lives will be worse than those of their parents, they've come to feel that they can't help but want to make a change.  And if there's one thing that supernational institutions are bad at, it's change.

At any rate, even if Remain pulls out a narrow win, it's a temporary win.  People's lives are going to get worse, and five or ten years later, they'll have another referendum.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

Ceredigion, where I used to live goes Remain 55-45%.  :cool:

Pity only 12.5 people live there.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2016, 08:59:25 PM
Ceredigion, where I used to live goes Remain 55-45%.  :cool:

Pity only 12.5 people live there.

Colin the sheepdog's vote just tilted it to remain  :)

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 08:55:57 PM
Liverpool :w00t:

Baffling analysis by John McDonnell there by the way.

John Mann MP, seems to be the authentic voice of why the disaffected have voted Leave.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Agelastus on June 23, 2016, 08:53:10 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 08:49:45 PM
Yeah, all the analyses I'm reading are suggesting leave is highly likely now. It's still hard for me to fully believe it, I view Britain as a very conservative country when it comes to things like this and frankly never seriously considered populist rabble could win this campaign.

Just out of interest, Otto, do you consider me to be a representative of said "populist rabble"?

No, there's maybe only 3-4 people on all of Languish I think would get caught up in that sort of thing. I frankly believe that there are strong and valid political reasons Britain could vote to leave, I think if Britain had left in say, 93 had negotiations on the nature of her membership hadn't worked out, I don't believe Britain would be a radioactive wasteland today. I think it'd likely be essentially the same as it is now, institutions and structures would've adapted, and at least a large portion of the economic benefits would've still been developed between Britain and the EU anyway.

I just think the campaign itself for leave has been nativist/populism, I don't believe if you support leave you are necessarily either of those things. For America I think Remain is by far in our best interests, but for Britain I can at least "see" the political argument for leaving. I actually think that right now Britain has a pretty sweet deal in regard to the EU, and I have always said Cameron needed to secure some sort of promise that Britain wouldn't be "strong-armed" into "ever closer union." I think the EU's concessions on wording there are meaningful. But part of me actually thinks the special concessions in a way may weaken the EU as other member states will be angry about them and it'll create long term resentments. I think also that they can be eroded over time.

Essentially I think if Britain does not want to be "all in", then it should be out. But in the moderate long term I think staying in to a degree lets Britain have her cake and eat it too, and I suspect Britain would always be able to hold off some of the worst of Brussels overreach.

Monoriu

Quote from: Neil on June 23, 2016, 08:58:45 PM

At any rate, even if Remain pulls out a narrow win, it's a temporary win.  People's lives are going to get worse, and five or ten years later, they'll have another referendum.

...on whether the Euro should be adopted :contract:

Valmy

It is going to be close boys! Remember when I bitched about how important issues of national destiny should not be decided by 50.00001% of the population during the Scottish nonsense? Well here we are again. One way or the other.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

Are the Brits really going to stay up all night for this?

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 09:03:11 PM
Are the Brits really going to stay up all night for this?

Might as well; political theatre, economic uncertainty, potential yobbo triumphalism, what's not not like.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on June 23, 2016, 08:58:45 PM

Which is why Britain is basically ensuring its dysfunction by this precedent of plebiscite politics. Rather sad for a nation that so long represented representative government.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

And it continues to tighten. Lovely.