Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Agelastus

Quote from: LaCroix on June 23, 2016, 09:13:30 PM
is there a map that shows the results, or is it just the telegraph's endless list of names?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

is what I've got open in another tab.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Quote from: LaCroix on June 23, 2016, 09:13:30 PM
is there a map that shows the results, or is it just the telegraph's endless list of names?
Map here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/23/leave-or-remain-eu-referendum-results-and-live-maps/

Though obviously what matters is overall vote count.
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

The Guardian has a map.

Fortunately in America we haven't had any reason to stay up late since 2000. Our Presidentials have all been over pretty early since then, although that one did go for a couple weeks.

mongers

Quote from: Drakken on June 23, 2016, 09:13:49 PM
So who's willing to bet the EU will kindly ask another referendum a year from now, just to "confirm" the result?  :P

The UKIP-Conservative coalition government won't agree to that.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 09:14:26 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2016, 09:09:02 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on June 23, 2016, 09:07:29 PM
I stayed up all night for the last two general elections, and this referendum is more important than either of them (although the 2010 election does run it close given the economic situation at the time), so why should I not stay up this time?

We won't have jobs to go to tomorrow morning or more likely by next week, will we?   :P

Luckily I bought 20kg of basmati rice just a week ago  :cool:

:D

I really should pop over to the preppers forum I know and see what the wingnuts are flapping about over this.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Remain is almost 200,000 votes down now.  It will take a miracle to come back.  I think it is over  :(

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 09:14:32 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 09:11:24 PM
It's the right thing to do about a major constitutional issue. We should have had one going in (and we did on remaining in 1976) and its been clear for years that people are unhappy with the EU we're right to have this vote.

Well I am just going to have to disagree with you on that. This is elected officials not having the guts to defend what they think is right for the country or do what is right for the country. So they pass on the responsibility back to the people. What exactly are they being elected for again? If plebiscite politics did not have a disastrous record of centuries of failure I might understand...but then so do confederations and the EU decided to go that way.
But how could that work? Most Tories want to leave, most Labour MPs (not voters, clearly) want to stay. We're like the hokey-cokey whenever there's an election?

To settle an issue like this you need to go to the people who can settle it for a generation at least.

Incidentally first call from a Tory MP (predictably Bill Cash) for Cameron to go.

Edit: And the current prediction is Leave 56% Remain 44% - that's not a tiny margin.
Let's bomb Russia!

LaCroix

@agelastus, sheilbh, otto -- thanks!

Agelastus

Quote from: Drakken on June 23, 2016, 09:13:49 PM
So who's willing to bet the EU will kindly ask another referendum a year from now, just to "confirm" the result?  :P

If it hadn't been for that tactic with reference to, for example, Ireland, we probably wouldn't be having this vote now.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 09:12:06 PM
Incidentally Labour's message on immigration tonight is all over the place :bleeding:

Edit: One thought, it'd be nice to hear as much about the North as we are tonight the rest of the time. Maybe that's part of why tonight's happening.

Old county of Lancashire + old west riding of Yorkshire = 9 million people..........roughly the same as London.

Not what one would conclude from the media; including the BBC, which is, after all, paid for by a poll tax.

OttoVonBismarck

I think the most distressing thing I saw today was the whole "vote with pen" vs "vote with pencil" conspiracy theory stuff going on. That was straight out of a Trump rally in terms of being asinine.

Sheilbh

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 09:18:42 PM
I think the most distressing thing I saw today was the whole "vote with pen" vs "vote with pencil" conspiracy theory stuff going on. That was straight out of a Trump rally in terms of being asinine.
That was insane. I really wonder if those people are now wondering if they were talking shite, or if they're convinced this is happening because they warned people to #usepens.

I worry it's the latter :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 09:18:36 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 09:12:06 PM
Incidentally Labour's message on immigration tonight is all over the place :bleeding:

Edit: One thought, it'd be nice to hear as much about the North as we are tonight the rest of the time. Maybe that's part of why tonight's happening.

Old county of Lancashire + old west riding of Yorkshire = 9 million people..........roughly the same as London.

Not what one would conclude from the media; including the BBC, which is, after all, paid for by a poll tax.

Yeah--I have enough exposure to British media and TV that I'm perplexed by things like Yorkshire, it's represented as basically a depopulated backwards countryside, and the region has 5m people in it.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 09:18:05 PM
But how could that work? Most Tories want to leave, most Labour MPs (not voters, clearly) want to stay. We're like the hokey-cokey whenever there's an election?

The same way it works for every other issue? Did you have a referendum to join the UN?

QuoteTo settle an issue like this you need to go to the people who can settle it for a generation at least.

Incidentally first call from a Tory MP (predictably Bill Cash) for Cameron to go.

Edit: And the current prediction is Leave 56% Remain 44% - that's not a tiny margin.

Just as I said. A failure of leadership. And now a dangerous precedent is set. And we will see if these things are settled for a generation at least. Especially regarding Scotland.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Agelastus

Didn't that whole silly thing with the pens get its legs after a particular polling station told voters they couldn't use pens when they are actually perfectly acceptable (as the Electoral Commission states)?

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be