Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 09:05:49 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 23, 2016, 08:58:45 PM
At any rate, even if Remain pulls out a narrow win, it's a temporary win.  People's lives are going to get worse, and five or ten years later, they'll have another referendum.

Which is why Britain is basically ensuring its dysfunction by this precedent of plebiscite politics. Rather sad for a nation that so long represented representative government.

At least it will serve as a reminder to the rest of the EU why they should never do anything of this sort. 

Agelastus

I stayed up all night for the last two general elections, and this referendum is more important than either of them (although the 2010 election does run it close given the economic situation at the time), so why should I not stay up this time?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Paul Mason's tweets interesting here though he fucked the numbering (<_<):
At 02:15 bst it's looking *narrowly* likely that Brexit will happen. Here's why (1/5): High turnout in pro-Leave areas & higher margins
(2/5) In big metropolitan areas likely to back Remain: lower turnout & tighter margins. As to the politics: it's very clear...
(3/5) Brexit - Culturally "working class" places have had a real political movement going on for weeks. Friends mobilising friends etc...
While this is clearly a "working class revolt" vs free mvt (1/3) my reading of small-town results says more...
There's clearly a salariat thing going on as well - small English towns, Ceredigion etc having bigger Leave votes than expected (2/3)
(3/3) I'm surprised by how high the turnout is in pro-Leave areas. More than a GOTV operation; cultural movement esp in Wales

Rhonda for leave! :o

Latest from Hanretty:
QuoteMy predictions continue to be much more pessimistic for Remain than the betting markets, though they seem to be in between estimates from Michael Thrasher and JP Morgan.
Predicted probability of Britain Remaining: 0
(81 of 382 areas reporting.)
Predicted vote share for Remain: 47.1 percent.
(90% prediction interval: 46.1 to 48.1 percent)
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Agelastus on June 23, 2016, 09:07:29 PM
I stayed up all night for the last two general elections, and this referendum is more important than either of them (although the 2010 election does run it close given the economic situation at the time), so why should I not stay up this time?

We won't have jobs to go to tomorrow morning or more likely by next week, will we?   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

Just curious culturally, I wasn't sure if Britain had that sort of election night following that America did.

Sheilbh

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 09:03:11 PM
Are the Brits really going to stay up all night for this?
It's like election night.

With similar results. Labour improves its vote in London, gets slaughtered everywhere else :lol:

QuoteWhich is why Britain is basically ensuring its dysfunction by this precedent of plebiscite politics. Rather sad for a nation that so long represented representative government.
It's the right thing to do about a major constitutional issue. We should have had one going in (and we did on remaining in 1976) and its been clear for years that people are unhappy with the EU we're right to have this vote.

Maybe if things had changed in 1992 or with the French vote, or the Irish vote, or the Dutch vote, or the Greek vote, then the British vote wouldn't be needed.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Incidentally Labour's message on immigration tonight is all over the place :bleeding:

Edit: One thought, it'd be nice to hear as much about the North as we are tonight the rest of the time. Maybe that's part of why tonight's happening.
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Remain's % continues to go down in the BBC count.  It doesn't look good at all.  :cry:

Agelastus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 09:09:59 PM

Just curious culturally, I wasn't sure if Britain had that sort of election night following that America did.

I stayed up all night for 1992 and (almost all night) for 1997, went to bed for 2001 and 2005, and then did as noted above.

There's a pattern there.

Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2016, 09:09:02 PM

We won't have jobs to go to tomorrow morning or more likely by next week, will we?   :P

Actually, I work mostly from home these days for a franchisee of a company that deals exclusively in second hand goods.

I think my job is (probably) safe. :P

And Sterling's dropped again (from 1.45 to 1.43.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

LaCroix

is there a map that shows the results, or is it just the telegraph's endless list of names?

Drakken

So who's willing to bet the EU will kindly ask another referendum a year from now, just to "confirm" the result?  :P

Ed Anger

I'm up watching this. But I suffer from a raging case of insomnia.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2016, 09:09:02 PM

Luckily I bought 20kg of basmati rice just a week ago  :cool:

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 09:11:24 PM
It's the right thing to do about a major constitutional issue. We should have had one going in (and we did on remaining in 1976) and its been clear for years that people are unhappy with the EU we're right to have this vote.

Well I am just going to have to disagree with you on that. This is elected officials not having the guts to defend what they think is right for the country or do what is right for the country. So they pass on the responsibility back to the people. What exactly are they being elected for again? If plebiscite politics did not have a disastrous record of centuries of failure I might understand...but then so do confederations and the EU decided to go that way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.