Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2016, 08:30:52 PM
Wandsworth massively Remain 75%-25% and 118,000 odd vote for remain.
As a friend (who lives in Wandsworth) said tonight, there's a lot of people very worried about their nannies :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

BBC suffering from cultural dissonance and still saying 'it's way to early to call'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Agelastus

And Sterling now rallies to 1.44 on google.

Presumably the first London results have steadied opinion.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

John Curtice pointing out that London looks like turnout is up 4% from the General, in the rest of England it's up by 6% :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 08:35:10 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2016, 08:30:52 PM
Wandsworth massively Remain 75%-25% and 118,000 odd vote for remain.
As a friend (who lives in Wandsworth) said tonight, there's a lot of people very worried about their nannies :lol:

There was an illumination audience contribution during the question time programme, a woman said she loved going into London as she found the foreign-born* coffee shop staff were delightfully friendly and helpful.  :hmm:

* And by implication ....

mongers

Hammersmith and Fulham goes Remain at 70-30%

Though Gosport goes 67-33%.

alfred russel

So right now remain has more votes and london is mostly out. Why the remain defeatism? Is it really so bad for remain?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Drakken

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2016, 08:42:36 PM
So right now remain has more votes and london is mostly out. Why the remain defeatism? Is it really so bad for remain?

From what I understand, the vast number of predicted Leave turfs still remain uncounted for.

OttoVonBismarck

And the assumption would have to be the pollsters making predictions going off the current results have estimated Remain is going to win London by some percentage.

Agelastus

Corby declares for leave (the second of my immediate county neighbours) but the vote's up by less than 4% on the general election.

Looks like I'm in a really solidly leave area (60%+)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2016, 08:42:36 PM
Inner London is Remain - outer London is Leave.

To take two London results Barking and Dagenham was won by Leave by 24%, the expected result was about 8%. Hammersmith and Fulham was Remain by 40%, the expected result was 30%.

Remain may still win, but right now Leave areas are turning out more (2% higher than London, Scotland isn't turning out at the same level as England) and Leave voters are turning out more in those ares - such as in Barking there.

Edit: And London is 15% of the population and Scotland is about 7.5%. They can't be banked on that much if the rest of the country is turning.

Edit: Just heard the first remainer say 'we've got to listen to the country'... :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, all the analyses I'm reading are suggesting leave is highly likely now. It's still hard for me to fully believe it, I view Britain as a very conservative country when it comes to things like this and frankly never seriously considered populist rabble could win this campaign.

Richard Hakluyt

Ah well, if you ask people for their opinion you can hardly object when they give it to you.

Agelastus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 08:49:45 PM
Yeah, all the analyses I'm reading are suggesting leave is highly likely now. It's still hard for me to fully believe it, I view Britain as a very conservative country when it comes to things like this and frankly never seriously considered populist rabble could win this campaign.

Just out of interest, Otto, do you consider me to be a representative of said "populist rabble"?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Richard Hakluyt

Liverpool a pretty solid 58% remain.