Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 23, 2016, 04:30:47 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 03:22:06 AM
Polling station was the busiest I've ever seen it, looks like a better turnout than usual. Perhaps that is not good for the remain cause though. A sort of peasants' revolt, people who would never dream of voting for "them" have been given a chance to vote against "them".

I would have thought high turnout was good for remain. My thinking was the folks who want to leave have high enthusiasm, so if turnout is low they'll be disproportionately represented.
Difficult to say. Old people are very Pro-leave and always vote. High turnout suggests young people are voting.

On the other hand working class and poor people are more pro-Leave and generally have lower turnouts, plus as RH says the 'they're all the same' and 'it never makes a difference' arguments don't work here.

So my suspicion isthat high turnout will help remain....but it might not :P
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on June 23, 2016, 04:51:55 AM
:o

"Dear Britain, if you stay in the EU we'll recognize the Wembley goal"?  Tell me I translated this well, it will make me feel good about my German :D

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on June 23, 2016, 05:22:23 AM

"Dear Britain, if you stay in the EU we'll recognize the Wembley goal"?  Tell me I translated this well, it will make me feel good about my German :D

Pretty much.
...  even we will recognize ...

Josquius

We're doomed aren't we
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 03:22:06 AM
Polling station was the busiest I've ever seen it, looks like a better turnout than usual. Perhaps that is not good for the remain cause though. A sort of peasants' revolt, people who would never dream of voting for "them" have been given a chance to vote against "them".

Voted at 9:30 this morning; the polling station was at General Election levels for the time of day so, although it's only one data point, we could be looking at at least a General Election level of turnout around here.

The very pretty, charming and "person of ethnic origin" lady at my bank when I went in a little later had been conducting a straw poll of her clients; vast majority for leave, including herself. Admittedly, given the bank and the time of day that could have been a sample of three people! :D
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 03:07:31 AM
There's also been talk in the UK press of Swexit and Frexit.

Maybe to regain popularity Europe could ban shit portmanteaus  :glare:

I'd vote for that.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Gups

Quote from: Agelastus on June 23, 2016, 06:08:19 AM

I'd vote for that.

How can your day that on this day of breckoning

mongers

Do we need a new thread for the election night results coverage or shall we stick to with this one?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Agelastus

Quote from: Gups on June 23, 2016, 06:16:05 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on June 23, 2016, 06:08:19 AM

I'd vote for that.

How can your day that on this day of breckoning

:hmm:

And what rating did you give yourself in this thread? :P

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,14063.0.html

More to the point, look at the fandoms for TV series etc.; the portmanteau shorthands they use for their preferred pairings should be obliterated as an abomination against language itself... :yucky:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Sheilbh

The use pens crowd makes me wonder if everyone's a conspiracy minded loony and us sheeple are a minority...
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on June 22, 2016, 06:02:51 PM
I hope Brexit wins. De Gaulle never wanted them in. :frog:

I have been thinking during this process that 'wow De Gaulle was right again'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

When will results be known?

garbon

Sometime in the early morning. Guess is overall picture by 3:30 with total full results not till before commuting hour.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/35f15744-37cd-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7.html#axzz4CPY90dCm
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.