Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Zanza

Sounds like the Brexiteers were right and the EU moved away from the original WA in the last minute. And got the deal it always wanted: a customs border in the Irish Sea. Let's see if parliament can pass that...

celedhring

Yeah, I fail to see how that is more palatable than the old WA. Splitting the country in 2?  :huh:

Iormlund

Any outcome other than revoking was always going to end up splitting the country in two, probably three parts. That ship sailed long ago.

Tamas

Yeah, it will be sickening to see the whole "conservative" press praise Johnson as a great statesman for agreeing to every last bit of the EU's original demands from two years ago.

But I guess we could do worse.

Once that settled we'd just need Parliament to attach a confirmatory referendum to it with the deal and remain as possible options, and this nightmare could end. Except of course that Corbyn is so assured he'll win the next election, that he has already refused this scenario.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on October 16, 2019, 03:35:39 AM
Yeah, I fail to see how that is more palatable than the old WA. Splitting the country in 2?  :huh:
Always the unionist fear that London would betray them (as they thought the Liberals proposing Home Rule were about to).

Truth is there's not much attachment to Northern Ireland and I've always suspected if it came to a choice between the "perfect" Brexit deal and a border in the Irish Sea, Brexiteers would choose Brexit. Also most Brexiteers would rather have Brexit than union with Scotland, which infuriates an old unionist like me :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

England über alles! The Tories are the English Nationalist Party these days.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on October 16, 2019, 04:37:54 AM
England über alles! The Tories are the English Nationalist Party these days.

Should it be, this time at least, England über allen! ?  :P

Sheilbh

A constituency poll!

Finchley and Golders Green. Tory-Labour marginal. Large Jewish population. London, probably very Remainy. Currently has a Tory MP.

Finchley & Golders Green Westminster voting intention:

LDEM: 41% (+34)
CON: 29% (-18)
LAB: 25% (-19)
GRN: 3% (+1)

via @Survation, 2 Oct
Chgs. w/ 2017 result.
:o

There are special circumstances, the Lib Dem candidate is a former Labour MP who quit the party over anti-semitism and it's a constituency with a large Jewish population. But even so!

In terms of just the numbers at the last election the Tories got about 25000 votes, Labour 23000 and the Lib Dems got 3500 :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Special circumstances render it meaningless in the wider context IMO.

Berkut

Reading this thread is like reading about politics on some alien planet. I don't really know who the good guys are.

Which party is in favor of just ditching the entire brexit idea as stupid?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tonitrus

Quote from: Berkut on October 16, 2019, 05:13:47 PM

The Lib Dems, I believe...but they feel kinda flakey on it.

The Larch

Reading this thread is like reading about politics on some alien planet. I don't really know who the good guys are.

The Lib-Dems, IIRC. Or is it a straight 2nd referendum what they want? It's difficult to keep track...

Iormlund

LibDems. Business-friendly socially liberal party.

The want to revoke, the second referendum was adopted by Labour a few months ago.

crazy canuck

It is because both the traditional parties are completely dysfunctional at the moment.  As others have said the Lib-Dems are the closest to sane that the Brits have atm.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2019, 04:39:23 PM
Special circumstances render it meaningless in the wider context IMO.
Maybe.

Though I think there's a few interesting points. First is the Tory to Lib Dem swing, especially as the Tories are already campaigning in that area that a vote for the Lib Dems will let in Labour. In general the Lib Dems feel very confident and excited about their potential in London. But separately, as I mentioned earlier, most of their target seats are in Remainy Tory areas (not Labour). This is why I find the polls very difficult to work out/predict from.

QuoteLibDems. Business-friendly socially liberal party.

The want to revoke, the second referendum was adopted by Labour a few months ago.
They want to revoke - if they win an election (which they consider a "democratic event" strong enough to overrule the referendum). But revoke is still fairly controversial:
"Regardless of how you voted in the 2016 EU referendum, do you support or oppose the UK abiding by the referendum result and leaving the EU?"
Support: 54%
Oppose: 32%

Separately another female Jewish Labour MP (for a Liverpool constituency - again :() has resigned from the Labour party and will step down as an MP. "The Labour Party is no longer a safe place for Jews and Jeremy Corbyn must bear the responsibility for this." Other Labour MPs are continuing to state enough is enough and offer their thoughts and prayers.
Let's bomb Russia!