Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2016, 01:14:33 PM
What's the German idea of 'associate partner status'?

Rumours in the City that South Korea's already offered an FTA on the same terms As the EU one.
Poland 1939-45 should give you an idea :p

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 24, 2016, 01:24:15 PM

Damn. Is Merkel Hitler also?

The west has a terrible record at continually electing Hitler to every high office.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 01:25:37 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 24, 2016, 01:24:15 PM

Damn. Is Merkel Hitler also?

The west has a terrible record at continually electing Hitler to every high office.
yeah, but you do have to commend the people doing his plastic surgery. :)

OttoVonBismarck

Rumours in the City that South Korea's already offered an FTA on the same terms As the EU one.

QuoteGerman business paper Handelsblatt reports Germany wants to offer us 'associated partnership status' with other European Union countries.

This is according to an eight-page document entitled "The German strategy regarding a Brexit", where the finance ministry said it wanted "to offer constructive exit negotiations" with other EU members, and adds it expects the talks between Brussels and London to be difficult.

I think it means little at this point, other than--obviously, Germany's chief interest will always be German bottom line, not EU principles or anything like that. Remember Germany is the country that can hardly restrain itself from trade with the worst human rights abusing regimes anytime they can, and are usually one of the West's weak links in any sanctions regime.

Zanza

That doesn't mean anything at all. The German government is completely unprepared for Brexit and has no idea how to handle it. Merkel is just doing her usual waffling and waiting. "Keep calm and carry on" to say it in British terms.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 24, 2016, 01:34:09 PM
I think it means little at this point, other than--obviously, Germany's chief interest will always be German bottom line, not EU principles or anything like that. Remember Germany is the country that can hardly restrain itself from trade with the worst human rights abusing regimes anytime they can, and are usually one of the West's weak links in any sanctions regime.

Well then maybe Spicey is right and this only means Britain is going to get an even sweeter deal than before.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

Apparently britain has already dropped from 5th biggest economy to 6th :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

In nominal terms, France is new #5, we drop to #6.

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2016, 01:35:52 PM
Apparently britain has already dropped from 5th biggest economy to 6th :bleeding:

Damn, I really shouldn't have decided to not go shopping today.  :Embarrass:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 24, 2016, 01:14:05 PM
Now now, lets not derail this thread. How do we call the English Statehood process? Brentry does not sound as cool as Brexit.

Decession?  Re-Union? Confederated States of the Anglosphere?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2016, 01:42:07 PM
In nominal terms, France is new #5, we drop to #6.

"I am not a number, I am a Free man."
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 01:35:29 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 24, 2016, 01:34:09 PM

Well then maybe Spicey is right and this only means Britain is going to get an even sweeter deal than before.

The paper that Sheilbh referred to made clear that it is in Germany's strategic interest that there is not automatic access for Britain to the single market and that any agreement with Britain must be designed to disincentivize other countries from going down the same route (the paper mentions France, Austria, Netherlands, Finland and Hungary). Another strategic interest of Germany is that France and Italy don't use the crisis to further integration especially regarding shared liability for eurozone debt or regarding an EU budget. This is considered vital to not lose the other Northern members.

Other than that the paper mainly adresses stuff like Britain's current obligations to finance the EU budget, Britain's stake in the European Investment Bank etc. It also questions whether Britain can hold the rotating EU presidency next year as it would be their turn.

Valmy

Zanza

The discussion of an Anglosphere when it seems at least possible that Scotland and/or Northern Ireland will secede from the United Kingdom is rather silly. Little England is a much more likely outcome than an Anglosphere at this point of time.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 01:48:43 PM
The discussion of an Anglosphere when it seems at least possible that Scotland and/or Northern Ireland will secede from the United Kingdom is rather silly. Little England is a much more likely outcome than an Anglosphere at this point of time.

Natch. There is zero chance anything like this ever happens much less soon. Hell we cannot even make PR a state these days. Just joking around.