Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 11:49:22 AM
Quote from: frunk on June 24, 2016, 11:42:20 AM
The British are frantically Googling what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it

You know I try to read up on the issues before voting on them but hey to each their own.

Couldn't it easily be people who never thought the UK would leave trying to find out? I, myself, looked up today about what are the benefits the UK is supposed to accrue from leaving.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2016, 11:50:41 AM
Couldn't it easily be people who never thought the UK would leave trying to find out? I, myself, looked up today about what are the benefits the UK is supposed to accrue from leaving.

Probably. It is the Washington Post's joke not mine.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I am getting bombarded by Goldbugs telling me that Gold and Silver are SURGING as Brexit indicates the imminent collapse of the world economy. But then they tend to say that about every election.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2016, 11:50:41 AM

It's clearly a clickbait headline.  As you say if anything it shows that people want to know exactly what's expected to happen now that a series of unprecedented events has been unleashed.

Josquius

60% of London voted to remain, some boroughs were up to 70%.

Not sure what your first statement is meant to convey.
Yes. But the Cockney vote?

London skims off the top people from around the country. It relies on the test of the country to push people into its black hole
Quote from: FunkMonk on June 23, 2016, 10:43:44 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 10:36:09 PM
PM Johnson and President Trump are going to get on great together  :cool:

God wills it.  :lol:

I call sitcom.
The dad is president of the us.
The son is prime minister of the uk.
It's kind of like an up market steptoe and son
██████
██████
██████

lustindarkness

So England could be our 51st State? :hmm:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 24, 2016, 12:10:24 PM

England is just getting out of a relationship right now.  It's too early for her to think about shacking up with someone else - never mind getting married.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

We want an opt out on the second amendment :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 24, 2016, 12:10:24 PM
Landing Strip One!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 11:38:28 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2016, 11:31:57 AM
Lord Livermore,  formerly of No 10 and the Treasury saying London should seek independence :lol:

The Republic of Bexley will defend its sovereign borders with zeal.
City of London apprentices should purge Parliament of the Brexiteers :o
Let's bomb Russia!

lustindarkness

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2016, 12:14:14 PM

You can have a referendum on that when the time comes. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Sheilbh

The range of response is incredible. People in the North saying their having parties. In London, comparing the mood to after a terrorist attack.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2016, 12:14:14 PM

That's the beauty of Federalism, the sort of gun laws current in place in Britain, were England a state, would be 100% constitutional. One of the big reasons state-by-state gun laws don't do much in the United States is it's so easy to just buy in one state and transport to another, but our 51st state, being an island 3,000 miles away would be somewhat protected.

Sheilbh

Really? I thought our gun laws would definitely be unconstitutional in the US.

Agree with this piece:
https://next.ft.com/content/643fb2f6-39e6-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7
Let's bomb Russia!