Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Berkut

How did the entire Brexit thing come about?

I mean, I am surprised that there is even a referendum on such a thing - how does that even happen?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

OttoVonBismarck

Parliament passes a law providing for a referendum, which sets the election process in motion. After the result, Parliament then can do what it pleases, but presumably will pass laws to implement the will of the electorate.

It isn't binding like State-level referendums in America that "self-execute" and actually become legislation (or prompt things like removal from office for recall elections.)

I researched this after some confusion of my own.

Zanza

Quote from: Berkut on June 24, 2016, 10:53:38 AM

I mean, I am surprised that there is even a referendum on such a thing - how does that even happen?
There was constant bickering about the EU and Britain's role in it in the Conservative Party. When he became the leader of the Tories, David Cameron set the goal to pacify these malcontents in his own party. The way to do that was to promise renegotiation of Britain's status in the EU followed by a referendum.

He now suffered a total and utter defeat of this plan.

LaCroix

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 10:55:47 AMThere was constant bickering about the EU and Britain's role in it in the Conservative Party. When he became the leader of the Tories, David Cameron set the goal to pacify these malcontents in his own party. The way to do that was to promise renegotiation of Britain's status in the EU followed by a referendum.

jesus :lol:

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 10:55:47 AM

There was constant bickering about the EU and Britain's role in it in the Conservative Party. When he became the leader of the Tories, David Cameron set the goal to pacify these malcontents in his own party. The way to do that was to promise renegotiation of Britain's status in the EU followed by a referendum.

Will he be compared to Napoleon III in future?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Napoleon III had successes early in his reign, so this seems unfair.  :P

Berkut

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 10:55:47 AM

In hindsight that seems like a poor idea.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Phillip V

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_withdrawal_from_the_European_Union

Sheilbh

He did hope that by settling the issue he could stop them from 'banging on about Europe' :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 24, 2016, 11:02:08 AM
Napoleon III had successes early in his reign, so this seems unfair.  :P

:lol:

mongers

Russian President Vladimir Putin said the decision showed the UK's unhappiness with migration and security.

:hmm:

Sheilbh

One reporter described the mood among Labour MPs as 'the country's fucked, the party's fucked, might as well take out the leader' :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 24, 2016, 09:30:19 AM
let it brew for a 1000 years and you'll see how strong a local identity can be. We'll revisit the many political entities of North-America during the second semester of 3016. :)

I would rather we stick with individual rights instead of giving priority to tyrannical ethnic groups. I find it baffling that you read that as some kind of Imperialism.

But I doubt things would ever develop as you claim. People move around a lot these days. It is rare that people live in the same location their great-grandparents lived in. Hell it is not uncommon to live in a radically different place than your parents. So I don't see how those kinds of identities could easily develop where they do not already exist. At least in this country.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2016, 11:12:36 AM
One reporter described the mood among Labour MPs as 'the country's fucked, the party's fucked, might as well take out the leader' :lol:

:D

One other bright spot, other than the turnout, is the now inevitable end of George Osborne's political career.   :cool:

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2016, 11:03:13 AM
He did hope that by settling the issue he could stop them from 'banging on about Europe' :lol:

:lol:

He did win on the Scottish independence referendum but it was a high-wire act and sooner or later your luck runs out.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.