News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Genf = Geneva, Mailand = Milan
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Some exonyms hold better than others: Pressburg is Bratislava but Mailand does not yield to Milano.

Ideologue

So the accident I got into turns out to have been finally adjudicated, and I was held at fault, and I didn't find out till this morning when my girlfriend tried to add me to her insurance and turns out I'm expensive now.  RADICAL.  You'd think I'd killed the lady instead of just causing about $500 worth of vehicle damage.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zanza

Josquius

British trains are crap, film at 11
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

America is cheap, except for health care.  Click here to read more!

Little surprised by the low education number however.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2015, 12:56:11 PM

Yeah. What happened to the average college grad having 1.5 million dollars of debt?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2015, 01:00:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2015, 12:56:11 PM

Yeah. What happened to the average college grad having 1.5 million dollars of debt?

Does make me wonder if they're counting loans.  Those aren't income, after all, so as a percentage of income a debt-financed education would amount to 0% of household expenditure.  On the other end, income-driven repayment reduces the debt service, even if it doesn't wipe away the debt, reducing expenditure for many households, although it's still a hell of a tax.

Plus the graph also includes all households, when the education crisis is really only affecting about 20% of those, while Boomers pay zip, and Gen X not too much either.  (This is also how it's permitted to fester.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on September 17, 2015, 01:03:54 PM
Does make me wonder if they're counting loans.  Those aren't income, after all, so as a percentage of income a debt-financed education would amount to 0% of household expenditure.  On the other end, income-driven repayment reduces the debt service, even if it doesn't wipe away the debt, reducing expenditure for many households, although it's still a hell of a tax.

Plus the graph also includes all households, when the education crisis is really only affecting about 20% of those, while Boomers pay zip, and Gen X not too much either.  (This is also how it's permitted to fester.)

No expenditure is income.

And the table is comparing US spending to other countries' spending.

Zanza

I find it interesting that Russians spend so much on food. Makes Putin's recent food destruction campaign even more ridiculous.

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on September 17, 2015, 02:07:51 PM
I find it interesting that Russians spend so much on food. Makes Putin's recent food destruction campaign even more ridiculous.

Conversely in the USA, on the face of it in low spending on super cheap foods in part appears to lead to very high healthcare costs?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on September 17, 2015, 02:37:20 PM

Conversely in the USA, on the face of it in low spending on super cheap foods in part appears to lead to very high healthcare costs?

I don't know about that. I went to get something checked out last year. Turned out to be nothing. Paid almost $1,500.00 even after insurance kicked in. For nothing. What does my diet have to do with that? If I was paying more for food it would have only cost $700.00?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

What did you get checked out for? :unsure:

Annual checkup here is free.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2015, 02:39:59 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 17, 2015, 02:37:20 PM

I don't know about that. I went to get something checked out last year. Turned out to be nothing. Paid almost $1,500.00 even after insurance kicked in. For nothing. What does my diet have to do with that? If I was paying more for food it would have only cost $700.00?

You missed out this part of my question:

in part
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on September 17, 2015, 02:58:09 PM
You missed out this part of my question:

in part

I cannot answer the question then because I do not know what 'in part' means. How big of a part?