News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Then n is lower case while the rest is upper case? nYET. Still confusing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Quote from: Liep on September 16, 2015, 05:00:25 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 16, 2015, 04:56:32 AM
No.

Pfft, using cyrillic letters because they look like latin letters is confusing. And then the whole y is a consonant thing you got going on in your weird language. Clearly it should be transliterated to "Njet".

Person who represents about 25 million Scandinavians (and 5 and a half million Danes if we're being uncharitable) tells English-speaker representing 425 million natives that his language is wrong.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Though snark aside, I don't mind the block font "N."  It does get my goat when they use the symbols for "Ya" and "Ze" as R's and E's, since that is 1)retarded and 2)momentarily confusing for someone who can read Cyrillic text.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2015, 07:38:47 AM
Quote from: Liep on September 16, 2015, 05:00:25 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 16, 2015, 04:56:32 AM
No.

Pfft, using cyrillic letters because they look like latin letters is confusing. And then the whole y is a consonant thing you got going on in your weird language. Clearly it should be transliterated to "Njet".

Person who represents about 25 million Scandinavians (and 5 and a half million Danes if we're being uncharitable) tells English-speaker representing 425 million natives that his language is wrong.

Both languages share the latin alphabet so he has a point. Besides, the languages are even related.

mongers

Damn, I've started a lot of threads, wouldn't have thought I was in the top ten.  :blush:

Top  Topic Starters
jimmy olsen   2523
Syt      991
Martinus      734
garbon      628
CountDeMoney   609
viper37      352
mongers      311
Jacob      295
Sheilbh      286
Caliga      284
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

So quickly ventured onto cnn.com and am now watching the GOP pre-debate. Air Force One background and the national anthem. For a goddamn debate.

The southern one that Jon Stewart loved to do impressions of looks uncomfortable.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

They all look uncomfortable to me.  They all know their days are numbered.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2015, 05:28:17 PM

Trumpageddon?

Incidentally is there any comedy entertainment value in watching this debate?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on September 16, 2015, 06:24:04 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2015, 05:28:17 PM

Trumpageddon?

Incidentally is there any comedy entertainment value in watching this debate?
Always
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Speaking of t-shirts, a pregnant friend of mine was wearing this the other day:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Working time required to buy 1 Big mac, 1 kg of bread, 1 kg of rice, and an iPhone in various cities:

(First three categories in minutes, last in hours)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Oh, okay.  I was like, where are they getting these great deals on iPhones? :lol:
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Also, NYC sucks.  16 minutes for two pounds of rice?
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

That is odd, 3x the cost in LA and Chicago though the other items are about the same.

BTW, is "Genf" Geneva, Ghent or some other place? Also, is "Mailand" Milan?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?