News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

What if God was one of us? Just a stranger on the bus?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Tell me all your thoughts on God. I'd really like to meet Her.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Syt on September 12, 2015, 03:04:20 AM
What if God was one of us? Just a stranger on the bus?

Then he had better not try and talk to me, nor bust out his mobile to place a call. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

garbon

My location history has always been turned off.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

I plan to use it to absolve me of murder, if ever needed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Spellus has friends on facebook who take microagression and trigger warnings really fucking seriously.  The very idea that a white guy saying "futbol" is not a traumatic nightmare is so serious that people must be set to ignored is strange to me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

A thought- in fantasy settings you often get cliched people up in the polar regions, ice people. And in the desert you get fire people.
These people often have magical powers. Magical powers related to where they come from.
But...how useful is ice magic in the arctic?
Surely fire magic would be better?
Likewise out in the desert....well I guess wood is scarce so fire is a bit useful, and in real deserts nights are often cold, but I'd take water/ice magic anyday.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

In the Legion of Super-Heroes, Polar Boy came from a planet where it became very hot, so everyone evolved to have chill-inducing powers.  (Afaik, it only gets them to normal on their own world.)  His original costume included a fur hat, presumably because they find other planets extremely cold.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on September 13, 2015, 03:15:39 PM
Spellus has friends on facebook who take microagression and trigger warnings really fucking seriously.  The very idea that a white guy saying "futbol" is not a traumatic nightmare is so serious that people must be set to ignored is strange to me.

CULTURAL APPROPRIATION is serious business.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on September 13, 2015, 03:16:44 PM
A thought- in fantasy settings you often get cliched people up in the polar regions, ice people. And in the desert you get fire people.
These people often have magical powers. Magical powers related to where they come from.
But...how useful is ice magic in the arctic?
Surely fire magic would be better?
Likewise out in the desert....well I guess wood is scarce so fire is a bit useful, and in real deserts nights are often cold, but I'd take water/ice magic anyday.

I would guess the ideo in those tropes is all about manipulating the environment you're in.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 13, 2015, 03:15:39 PM

University of Chicago types. It is the future code of elitish snobbery so they can further justify why the poor are evil and should be held in contempt.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Municipal and regional elections in Norway today. I voted: Parties I have never voted before.  :huh: What the fuck is wrong with the world?