And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 08, 2015, 08:39:27 PM
OKTOBERFEST this weekend! :punk:

I don't want to tell you ethnic Germans how to run things, but shouldn't this take place in October? What a shocking lack of both discipline and order.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Ouch.
A good friend of mine from Japan is planning to visit Europe next month.
She bought her tickets two weeks ago but she has just discovered that there was a spelling mistake on her name.
She has enquired with travel agents and airlines and it seems her only solution is to cancel her flights and rebook them. It will cost her $800 :bleeding:

Worse this isn't even much of a spelling mistake. There is just a U missing after an O in her family name.
The only purpose of this U in Japanese is to say that you pronounce the O for a few fractions of a second longer than you otherwise would. In some types of Romanisation, including the one typically seen on signs in Japan, they don't even bother with the U, they just put a line above the O. :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

What climate change deniers sound like to normal people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=91&v=3iBLlksqztg

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

I had a spelling mistake on my ticket once. While security agent noted the error time, I had no issues traveling with the ticket.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Odd turn up for the books, Languish is one of few internet websites I can view or use at the moment.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on September 09, 2015, 07:19:09 PM
I had a spelling mistake on my ticket once. While security agent noted the error time, I had no issues traveling with the ticket.
Were you flying internationally?
Checking up I see a lot of people saying no trouble domestically, especially since Japanese agents will recognise the obvious and unimportant mistake, but internationally it may be an issue.

I hope she sorts it, would make me sick to lose so much money like that.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

I find it really bizarre that they tell her that the only option is to cancel the tickets and get new ones. AFAIK almost every airline will offer at the very least a change on the person using the ticket after it is bought, even if for a small fee, and this is not even a change on the person travelling but a correction of a spelling mistake. I really doubt that there will be trouble, but if she wants to be sure maybe the travel agent can write an official letter explaining the issue.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

:lol:
Its almost like they're mocking wacky American team names
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Which wacky American team names do you have in mind?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?