News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Language question for a script I'm writing in English. How would you say "having a bad time", but in a good way? As in, "that horror movie was so good, I had such a bad time watching it". I hope I'm making sense.

Syt

Not native speaker, but gut feeling: no.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on September 07, 2015, 03:38:44 AM
Language question for a script I'm writing in English. How would you say "having a bad time", but in a good way? As in, "that horror movie was so good, I had such a bad time watching it". I hope I'm making sense.

Something like, "Wow, that was terrible.  [short beat] Wasn't it great?"
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Lettow77

"So bad its good" is the standard phrase for that. It has a lot of use, especially targeted at movies. I expect that's the language you are after.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Admiral Yi

Do you mean hippity-hop bad as in good?  Then I think it would just be something like "Mad Max was bad," with the meaning conveyed by stretching out the vowel and facial expression.

Thing with black slang is though you don't know when something is dated or not.

Eddie Teach

You could also try an oxymoron like "deliciously horrible".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

My supermercado has absolutely zero turkey meat on sale.  All dead from bird flu.

Jaron

Quote from: celedhring on September 07, 2015, 03:38:44 AM

"The horror movie was so good, I had such a bad ass time watching it."

Easy as cake.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jaron

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2015, 07:09:13 PM
My supermercado has absolutely zero turkey meat on sale.  All dead from bird flu.

Most regrettable.

Jaron

I have this Indian co worker (he is from our off shore office in India. They fly these people in for a few months a year on rotating shifts so they can work with people in the US office). It was his birthday and he was telling me how much he struggles with cultural differences from India to the US. He said in India if someone is let go, their friends and family all help them get back on their feet, look for jobs, etc. When its your birthday, people come out of the wood work to congratulate you and celebrate with you. He remarked in the US when these same things happen you get a token of sympathy or congratulations from people but people then move about their own lives.

I thought to myself "Maybe I should treat him to dinner or something. Being alone on your birthday in a foreign country has got to be a lonesome experience."

But then I said NAH because I remembered Season 1 of Columbo on Netflix.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on September 07, 2015, 10:06:42 PM

:lol:

BTW, did you know that Peter Falk was a RL angel?

Jaron

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 07, 2015, 10:13:16 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 07, 2015, 10:06:42 PM

:lol:

BTW, did you know that Peter Falk was a RL angel?

I did not know that.

Eddie Teach

It's documented in the film "Wings of Desire".  :goodboy:

Caliga

OKTOBERFEST this weekend! :punk:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jaron