News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on January 22, 2014, 08:48:08 PM
I never understood that attitude, I always found Winter Olympics more compelling than watching the endless swimming and running events.  It's also more spectacular to watch, since there are some sports where the competitors are going really fast and on the verge of losing control.

The swimming and running events are over within a couple minutes(the ones people are interested in do at least). Your cherished auto races last forever. :zzz:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Yeah. With the exception of curling I find the Winter Olympics pretty dull  :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

First of all they need to nuke that X Games shit from orbit.

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 22, 2014, 09:04:12 PM
I never understood that attitude, I always found Winter Olympics more compelling than watching the endless swimming and running events.  It's also more spectacular to watch, since there are some sports where the competitors are going really fast and on the verge of losing control.

The swimming and running events are over within a couple minutes(the ones people are interested in do at least). Your cherished auto races last forever. :zzz:
Yeah, the individual events may be over within a couple of minutes, but there are 210 of them.

Eddie Teach

Anything that's not a final or is over 400m can be missed.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Most of the great events are in the summer Olympics, but the winter have some good ones too. Hockey may be the best event summer or winter. The downhill ski events are badass considering how on the edge the men and women are. Lots of events are on the verge of not being sports: half pipe freestyle, ski jumping, skeleton, bobsled, etc: but I can't hate on them too much because of the danger. That also makes them fun to watch.

Even something like women's figure skating that I would ordinarily have less than zero interest in becomes rather impressive because I can't imagine a more intimidating stage than being 18 and having 1 shot to nail your long program with the entire world watching.

Endurance events are also great. I respect the hell out of those guys. Not only do they perform grueling tasks over long periods, they also ingest enough drugs to kill and average horse while evading the testing regime.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Josephus on January 22, 2014, 08:14:30 PM
Winter Olympics  :zzz

Hoping there's some good counter programming

This year may be even more interesting then usual if the Chechens show up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2014, 09:07:24 PM

Yep. They're actually fine for what they are, but they have no place in the Olympics.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on January 23, 2014, 12:17:58 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2014, 09:07:24 PM

Yep. They're actually fine for what they are, but they have no place in the Olympics.
Most of them require as much or more athleticism than figure skating which to many people symbolizes the winter games, so aside from tradition, what about them turns you off?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2014, 09:05:56 PM
Yeah. With the exception of curling I find the Winter Olympics pretty dull  :blush:

:mad:

Ice hockey über alles!

Syt

I used to love the Olympics, and usually went out of my way to catch as much coverage as I could. L.A., Seoul, Barcelona or Sidney, I was glued to the screen. Even more so for the Winter Games in Calgary, Albertville, Lillehammer etc.

It has stopped for the recent Olympics. It's become so overhyped, commercialized and gigantomanic, and focusing on the cheap emotional melodrama (the broadcasters) that I just don't enjoy watching it any more.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

The olympics at least has gymnastics to perve at and feel paranoid and guilty about.
Plus nationalism.
The winter olympics has none of that.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I still like the old EPYX Games series, though (Summer Games 1&2, Winter Games, California Games, World Games).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on January 23, 2014, 04:26:10 AM
Plus nationalism.
The winter olympics has none of that.

If going by curling yep.
However, ice hockey has that too, though it pales compared to the Cold War ambient even inside the Warsaw Pact (Czechoslovakia-USSR say around '68).
Putin won't tolerate a defeat vs the Yanks!  :tinfoil: