News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

True, ice hockey definitely has it with the Scandinavians.
But the tournament as a whole doesnt have the same medal contest vibe
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

How to translate British English.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10280244/Translation-table-explaining-the-truth-behind-British-politeness-becomes-internet-hit.html?fb

I particularly identify with:

WHAT THE BRITISH SAY - I only have a few minor comments
WHAT THE BRITISH MEAN - Please rewrite completely
WHAT FOREIGNERS UNDERSTAND - He has found a few typos

Josephus

I'll watch some of the ice hockey, especially the later rounds after all the stupid teams are eliminated. But that's about it. Everything else looks like a made-up event. Bob sledding, really?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Brazen on January 23, 2014, 06:53:05 AM
How to translate British English.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10280244/Translation-table-explaining-the-truth-behind-British-politeness-becomes-internet-hit.html?fb

I particularly identify with:

WHAT THE BRITISH SAY - I only have a few minor comments
WHAT THE BRITISH MEAN - Please rewrite completely
WHAT FOREIGNERS UNDERSTAND - He has found a few typos

A lot of those are identical to Jutes vs. Danes.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Also the bobsled will be worth watching because Jamaica's back :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2014, 08:10:15 AM
Also the female bobsled will be worth watching because Jamaica's back Lolo made the team :w00t:

Fixed.

But then bobsled is always fun. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

I am not surprised to discover you're not a fan of Cool Runnings :P
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

The Biebs was arrested! Look at his mugshot...

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

I wish bad things happen to him, and him only.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/23/showbiz/justin-bieber-arrest/

QuoteJustin Bieber was charged with drunken driving, resisting arrest and driving without a valid license after police saw the pop star street racing Thursday morning, Miami Beach police said.
Bieber, 19, was booked into a Miami jail after failing a sobriety test, Miami Beach Police Chief Raymond Martinez told reporters Thursday.

Bieber "made some statements that he had consumed some alcohol, and that he had been smoking marijuana and consumed some prescription medication," Martinez said.

A Miami Beach officer saw Bieber driving a yellow Lamborghini in a race against a red Ferrari in a residential area of Miami Beach, Martinez said. The cars were speeding at about 55 to 60 mph in a 30 mph zone, he said.

The officer pulled Bieber's car over, but the singer was "was not cooperating with the officer's instructions," Martinez said.

"At first, he was a little belligerent, using some choice words questioning why he was being stopped and why the officer was even questioning him," he said.

"When he opened up the window and confronted Mr. Bieber, he smelled a strong odor of alcoholic beverage," Martinez said. The officer believed "Bieber may have been impaired."

Bieber failed a field sobriety test, Miami Beach Police Sgt. Bobby Hernandez told CNN.

Two SUVs "actually blocked the traffic at 26th and Pine Street so that they could race on Pine Street, almost making it like a makeshift race track," Hernandez said.

The Ferrari's driver, whom Hernandez called "an associate of Bieber," was also arrested on a drunken driving charge, he said. That person has not yet been publicly identified.

Bieber, 19, flew to Miami on Monday.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2014, 11:01:48 AM

I actually was, before everyone jumped on the bandwagon. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

QuoteThe cars were speeding at about 55 to 60 mph in a 30 mph zone, he said.

:lol: What a wuss.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on January 23, 2014, 11:28:15 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2014, 11:01:48 AM

I actually was, before everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

Do you also wear glasses with no lenses?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2014, 11:30:28 AM
QuoteThe cars were speeding at about 55 to 60 mph in a 30 mph zone, he said.

:lol: What a wuss.
Jimmy Dean he ain't.

On the other hand he's still alive so....
Let's bomb Russia!