And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 12, 2012, 03:17:12 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 12, 2012, 02:14:03 PM
There is a US Congressman sitting in my office at this very moment as I post on Languish.

Don't panic, just hide in the closet and call 9-1-1.

Whatever you do, don't try to be a hero.

But if it comes down to it, stand your ground.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

There is a US Congressman sitting in my office at this very moment as I post on Languish.
Tell us more!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Damn.  I was going to go fishing today.  It's storming and I found out I have a doctor's appointment.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I hope you stood your ground.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

There are times when I don't understand this country. 

Royal Mail's increasing stamp prices - first class from 46p to 60p and second class from 36p to 50p.  Royal Mail are now imposing stamp rationing after a run on stamps.  The news story showed loads of major retailers were running out and interviewed one shop owner.  She said a man bought £300 worth of stamps last week.  Everyone hopes their panic bought stamps will last them through Christmas.

:blink: :mellow:

Also how much mail do you need to send between now and Christmas to need £300 worth? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2012, 12:50:10 PM
There are times when I don't understand this country. 

Royal Mail's increasing stamp prices - first class from 46p to 60p and second class from 36p to 50p.  Royal Mail are now imposing stamp rationing after a run on stamps.  The news story showed loads of major retailers were running out and interviewed one shop owner.  She said a man bought £300 worth of stamps last week.  Everyone hopes their panic bought stamps will last them through Christmas.

:blink: :mellow:

Also how much mail do you need to send between now and Christmas to need £300 worth? :mellow:

In some ways this is a symptom of something rather than a phenomenon in it's own right, and by that I mean many people on modest incomes are using every opportunity to 'cheat' the real world inflation they face, as opposed to the arbitrary averaged concoction seen in the headlines.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 10, 2012, 08:14:58 PM

From Pizza Hut UK.
The Guardian reviews:
QuoteThe hot dog stuffed crust pizza: tested
Pizza Hut's latest creation - a sausage crammed into the crust of their pizza - couldn't be any good. Could it?

Those Americans who think of Britain as a backward food desert are this week eating their words. For we are the first to experience Pizza Hut's latest wheeze, the "hot dog stuffed crust" – a sausage coddled in the crust of a large pizza. (Don't all start hieing ye to your nearest branches just yet: it's delivery only at the moment.) The Sun in typical understated style, calls this creation "the stuff of dreams". Fox News and the LA Times deem us "lucky" to be so honoured. No less an organ than Time magazine hails a "caloric coma", and in an existential cri de coeur, laments that Britain is "one step ahead in the heart-attack-in-a-box department". How, it wonders, can America "redeem its title as most unhealthy country ... Come on Paula Deen, where are you when we need you the most?"

It was Pizza Hut, you may remember, who unleashed the stuffed crust on to a peaceful world in the distant 1990s. They got that discriminating gastronome Donald Trump to flog it; Trumpy barked that we had to eat the slices "crust first". (A Brooklyn family who owned a patent for crust-stuffing sued Pizza Hut for $1bn at the time; they lost the lawsuit in 1999 (pdf).) You'd have thought that mucking around once with crusts would be enough for these people. But no. "The new range," gushes a spokesman, "builds on our proud tradition of creating innovative dishes to enjoy on a night in with friends."

I hadn't eaten a Pizza Hut in around a decade, since I worked in one during the school holidays. I remembered frozen discs of dough which we sprayed with a canister of "developer" so that they rose like boils in the pans. I remembered lumps of beef and pork distinguished by different shades of brown. I remembered sloppy tinned pineapple and anchovies that smelled of infection. Hopes were low.

When it came, the box was strangely heavy. There was no sign of the "free mustard drizzle", which is probably just as well. I flouted Trump and ate a slice point-first. It was pretty good. The sauce had a decent balance of sharp and sweet, the cheese was ungreasy and smooth, the toppings of chilli and onion (I'd gone for a "veggie sizzler") brought a bit of lift. The bread was fake and weird but chewy like a bagel. I soon neared the end of my slice and its bedoughed, pink-brown phallus. I took a tentative bite.

It was a hot dog sausage. It was rubbery and processed and salty and smoky. How, in its own filthy way, could it be anything other than delicious? I peeled back its pappy cladding and gazed in conflicted seduction. I finished it. I had another slice. I put the box away. I came back a few minutes later and had another slice. I put the box in the bin.

So there you are. The hot dog stuffed crust: delicious.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/apr/13/hot-dog-stuffed-crust-pizza
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Josquius

pizza hut does delivery?
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Josquius

you live and learn. how odd.
but then i only just got it take out for the first time yesterday
██████
██████
██████

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Business without making any profits?  I think many businesses have mastered that one already.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Very clever Mongers.

My doctor's appointment turned out to be video conference.   <_<  For the first half hour I thought it was one those Kinect thingies and I was trying to figure out ways knock the shelves down on her.  Fortunately there was a nurse around to actually get the prescriptions faxed to the pharmacy.  The doc couldn't manage that.  I hate doctors.  :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017