News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

That movie was so hilarious.  That dude didn't look black at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Lettow77 on December 15, 2011, 02:13:43 PM
I wrote a long write-up about all the types of japanese green teas and what makes them different from one another. Should I post it on languish?

Maybe in your dedicated Lettuce weirdness thread. :)

Lettow77

I have a dedicated lettuce weirdness thread? Where's that? I have plenty to post in it, I guess.

Edit: And hey! weirdness? I'll have you know a dissection of the nuances of Japanese green tea is replete with culture
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Ideologue

I am the only arbiter of culture.  I declare Japanese tea: boring.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on December 15, 2011, 02:13:51 PM
For a lot of reasons, including more facile historical ones about white people in blackface doing racist acts.  But the idea that someone who temporarily abandons privilege so they can slum it for a few days, and then picks that privilege right back up along with "valuable experience" that they can relate to other people of privilege (often making themselves a profit in the so doing)... well, personally, I can see how that might stick in the craw for someone who benefits at best in a very indirect way from the exercise, and can never just walk away from their lack of privilege.

Is your favorite show: Secret Millionaire?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2011, 02:16:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2011, 02:10:14 PM
There have been documentaries about people in blackface trying to understand bigotry.
Like the aforementioned "Black Like Me". :contract:

Or this:

Is that Dorsey? Does he have a broken foot?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on December 15, 2011, 02:20:28 PM

I don't think the Neil Jr. schtick suits you, Ide.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on December 15, 2011, 02:22:40 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 15, 2011, 02:13:51 PM
For a lot of reasons, including more facile historical ones about white people in blackface doing racist acts.  But the idea that someone who temporarily abandons privilege so they can slum it for a few days, and then picks that privilege right back up along with "valuable experience" that they can relate to other people of privilege (often making themselves a profit in the so doing)... well, personally, I can see how that might stick in the craw for someone who benefits at best in a very indirect way from the exercise, and can never just walk away from their lack of privilege.

Is your favorite show: Secret Millionaire?

I am not familiar with the program.  But since it has "millionaire" in the title, I assume it is evil.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on December 15, 2011, 02:26:18 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 15, 2011, 02:20:28 PM

I don't think the Neil Jr. schtick suits you, Ide.

"Arbiter of culture" is 100% Ideologue schtick, established 2004.  Pay attention.

I think you're just sore because having written a thoughtful post about how pseudo-anthropologists insult the very people they glibly seek to understand, you realize that I can out-patchouli you any day of the week, too. :P
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on December 15, 2011, 01:57:53 PM
Quote from: BarristerThat is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen posted on languish.

God damn.  That's harsh, and yet I find myself compelled to agree.
Yep...
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 15, 2011, 02:37:57 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 15, 2011, 01:57:53 PM
Quote from: BarristerThat is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen posted on languish.

God damn.  That's harsh, and yet I find myself compelled to agree.
Yep...

Indeed, it almost gives one hope that there sense in ones own stupidities.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

A sales rep was in my office wearing Ugg boots.

Those things are awful, and you should feel bad if you own a pair.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 15, 2011, 03:12:01 PM
A sales rep was in my office wearing Ugg boots.

Those things are awful, and you should feel bad if you own a pair.
The worst are male Ugg boots :ph34r: :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Do any American lenders do euro-denominated loans? Like FX loans?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Man, I twisted my ankle when I fell down the stairs today.  My ankle is killing me now.  Actually, the twisting of the ankle is what caused me to fall down.  I have weak ankles. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017