News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

FWIW Lettuce has mentioned that before this most recent post.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Well, I got a laugh out of it.  :D

Not quite as good as Confederate Japanese is space, but pretty good.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

You should write a book called "Blind Like Me" about your experiences. :)

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on December 15, 2011, 01:59:23 PM
Hey man, you gots to FEEL with it. Blindness is moe~

Also it lets you appreciate how loud black people are
I mean really what a vibrant and boisterous race

I mean - don't you appreciate how incredibly offensive that is to people with actual vision loss?

It's like going out on the street in blackface because you want to experience what it is like to be African American.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Lettow77

I can't learn braille, mostly because I haven't put enough effort into it. I wanted to, but i've got too many side projects. I start to feel guilty if I haven't made a sonnet, there's always a backlog of anime, and lately i've been reading an enormous amount.

(On that note, Dazai is really cool and I strongly recommend No Longer Human)

Oh chill Barrister I mean
it's not like they'll see me doing it or anything
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on December 15, 2011, 02:01:06 PM
It's like going out on the street in blackface because you want to experience what it is like to be African American.
:sleep:

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on December 15, 2011, 02:01:32 PM
Oh chill Barrister I mean
it's not like they'll see me doing it or anything

:lol:

Oh Lettow you really are a unique character.  At least I hope you are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Lettow77

True story: we have a blind girl with a tapping cane on campus, but she's black and as such
a socially inappropriate person to send braille-sonnets to

Also, I went to check in at the local old people waiting to die home
and none of them were blind
SUFFERING

Malthus

Quote from: Lettow77 on December 15, 2011, 01:59:23 PM
Hey man, you gots to FEEL with it. Blindness is moe~

Also it lets you appreciate how loud black people are
I mean really what a vibrant and boisterous race

I mean - don't you appreciate how incredibly offensive that is to people with actual vision loss?

:secret: Don't start giving him ideas!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Oh, no.  I want to see that for myself.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: Lettow77 on December 15, 2011, 02:03:32 PM
True story: we have a blind girl with a tapping cane on campus, but she's black and as such
Blind AND black?  What's she doing at UT-Martin, as opposed to Harvard? :hmm:

Admiral Yi

I don't see why.  Walk a mile in my shoes and all that.

There have been documentaries about people in blackface trying to understand bigotry.

Lettow77

haha right, with skills like those to her name!

I dunno, maybe she didn't want to be far from home?

Regarding being blind: getting around campus is easymodo and anyone can do it just from memory
going places you haven't been to often is much, much harder, because it's hard to tell when to stop. I had a failed voyage to the town library (as opposed to the campus one, closed for break) because of that. Decided to just give up and turn around instead.

I wrote a long write-up about all the types of japanese green teas and what makes them different from one another. Should I post it on languish?

Edit: In case it wasn't obvious in light of what Barrister said, in all honesty I am not seeking to mock the blind. I have an interest in the condition, and a sympathy for its limitations. I would like to work with helping blind people, but especially those blind since birth, since they think differently in a way I find very interesting.

Ideologue

For a lot of reasons, including more facile historical ones about white people in blackface doing racist acts.  But the idea that someone who temporarily abandons privilege so they can slum it for a few days, and then picks that privilege right back up along with "valuable experience" that they can relate to other people of privilege (often making themselves a profit in the so doing)... well, personally, I can see how that might stick in the craw for someone who benefits at best in a very indirect way from the exercise, and can never just walk away from their lack of privilege.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2011, 02:10:14 PM
There have been documentaries about people in blackface trying to understand bigotry.
Like the aforementioned "Black Like Me". :contract:

Or this: