And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 28, 2009, 10:59:51 PM
That's not true, the difference in strength was far more
pronounced at the beginning of the 20th century.
Except that because of the enormous advantage that modern technology confered upon the defenders, a couple of regiments of Mexican troops could handily annihilate the entire US Army.  And because the US would be waging a war of aggression against Mexico, they would have to march their troops through magazine rifle fire.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on November 28, 2009, 11:15:49 PM
Except that because of the enormous advantage that modern technology confered upon the defenders, a couple of regiments of Mexican troops could handily annihilate the entire US Army.  And because the US would be waging a war of aggression against Mexico, they would have to march their troops through magazine rifle fire.

Yes, because the Spanish just annihilated the attack on San Juan hill and threw us out of Cuba.  :rolleyes:

If we could beat the Spanish, we could roll over the Mexicans who were less well armed and supplied, and far less organized. There's a multi-sided civil war going on. The problem won't be in occupying the country, but restoring a functioning government and dealing with guerrillas and bandits. The Americans do have some recent experience in dealing with that in the Philippines though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 28, 2009, 11:23:15 PM

Yes, because the Spanish just annihilated the attack on San Juan hill and threw us out of Cuba.  :rolleyes:

If we could beat the Spanish, we could roll over the Mexicans who were less well armed and supplied, and far less organized. There's a multi-sided civil war going on. The problem won't be in occupying the country, but restoring a functioning government and dealing with guerrillas and bandits. The Americans do have some recent experience in dealing with that in the Philippines though.
The Mexicans were actually better armed than the Spanish outposts that the Americans would dare attack, Mr. Jingo.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Man I hate agreeing with Neil.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on November 28, 2009, 11:36:05 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 28, 2009, 11:23:15 PM

The Mexicans were actually better armed than the Spanish outposts that the Americans would dare attack, Mr. Jingo.

Even if that's true, and I'd like to see some links, that lack of organization is still there. Further more the American army did fine attacking the Germans just a few years later in OTL so I don't see why they would have too many problems with the Mexicans. It's not as if we'd cross the border without any preparation or mobilization.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on November 28, 2009, 11:42:56 PM
Man I hate agreeing with Neil.

Your true loyalty shines through.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

America did so well dealing with Pancho Villa, I'm sure the insurgency would just crumble. ;)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Was looking for a bottle of wine in my cupboard (no wine left. :weep:) and found an unknown bottle of Bailey's! :w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2009, 12:53:13 AM
Was looking for a bottle of wine in my cupboard (no wine left. :weep:) and found an unknown bottle of Bailey's! :w00t:

Is that beer?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jaron on November 29, 2009, 12:50:58 AM
America did so well dealing with Pancho Villa, I'm sure the insurgency would just crumble. ;)
That wasn't a full fledged invasion force.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 29, 2009, 01:22:06 AM
Quote from: Jaron on November 29, 2009, 12:50:58 AM
That wasn't a full fledged invasion force.

It was full fledged enough.

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on November 29, 2009, 01:04:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2009, 12:53:13 AM

Is that beer?

Yes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

Prepositions suck. There's too many of them, different ones are used in sentences with only very slightly different meanings, and it's really hard to clearly explain why one should use one preposition in a sentence over another.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 29, 2009, 04:23:40 AM
Prepositions suck. There's too many of them, different ones are used in sentences with only very slightly different meanings, and it's really hard to clearly explain why one should use one preposition in a sentence over another.

I was asked to write some questions for the exam coming up so I did. They said they were to focused on memorization. I looked at some of the questions they were giving and they were reading comprehension questions. Basically a small paragraph on a topic and then 4 or 5 sentences to choose from, only one of which said something accurate about the paragraph. Looked way to hard for the vast majority of the students, but if that's what they want that's what I'll do.

1 Karma Chameleon point