News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2021, 09:49:14 AM
One similar one I was thinking of in relation to post-pone/pre-pone is why moving a meeting/event to an earlier time is called "bringing it forward". Because if you're looking at the time as a separate thing moving in a linear fashion we'de be moving it back (from the future to closer to the present). It maybe because from our subjective perspective it is - because I suppose we are moving it forward to it clashing with us/the present.

The way I look at it is you're looking at your calendar, and you're situated at right now. If you want to do it later, you "push it back" i.e. away from where you are. Conversely - you "bring it forward" towards yourself and in the opposite direction of "pushing it back".

Eddie Teach

Why do you drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

What's the best way to weigh whey?

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2021, 09:24:23 AM

:hmm:

Not sure about ROTW? Yanks, Canadians, Euros?

For me 18-19 September is definitely "this weekend", the weekend after is "next weekend".

Apparently according to the internet in Nigeria it's, say, "Wednesday" for the one coming and then "upper Wednesday" for the one after which I quite like.

I'd love to know what they say in Indian English because it tends to be really creative/interesting but normally in a very sensible/logical way - so for example I love "pre-pone" which is used as the opposite of "post-pone", to bring a meeting forward.

In Canada, or at least when i've been, it works like this: if today is Monday the 13th  then next weekend is Saturday the 18th. if its Friday the  17th then next weekend is Saturday the 25th.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2021, 09:24:23 AM

:hmm:

Not sure about ROTW? Yanks, Canadians, Euros?

For me 18-19 September is definitely "this weekend", the weekend after is "next weekend".

Apparently according to the internet in Nigeria it's, say, "Wednesday" for the one coming and then "upper Wednesday" for the one after which I quite like.

I'd love to know what they say in Indian English because it tends to be really creative/interesting but normally in a very sensible/logical way - so for example I love "pre-pone" which is used as the opposite of "post-pone", to bring a meeting forward.

Are their regional variations, maybe? I've always used "this weekend" and "next weekend" in the same way you do.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

It's definitely something where I run into people meaning both which means you always have to be really clear about which you mean.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

I say this weekend.  I use next weekend when you're already in the weekend.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2021, 01:51:26 PM

Agreed.  If you want to refer to the weekend after the coming weekend, then it is "the following weekend".

DGuller

:yes:

crazy canuck

It is "this weekend".  Next weekend is something happening the week after.

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 16, 2021, 02:50:04 PM

Agreed.  If you want to refer to the weekend after the coming weekend, then it is "the following weekend".

:yes:  Next weekend means the next weekend after now, which doesn't really work when "this weekend" also means that and is unambiguous.  US English doesn't have that handy UK-ism of "Monday Week" but even the UK-ism doesn't hand the weekend issue, except as "Sunday week" or "Saturday week."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Just read Clive Sinclair has died. :(
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I do sometimes miss going to my old hometown theatre. It was popular with Shakespeare productions for obvious reasons.

(Would be better if the stage was smaller, and the inside was standing room only, but alas.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Speaking of theaters, possibly the best construction project to ever happen in Spain. The Madrid council has approved building an aztec pyramid-shaped theater surrounded by a giant parking lot, the first play to be a musical dedicated to Hernán Cortés:

Tonitrus

Springtime for Cortés...and Aztlán?