News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I've noticed my in-laws prefer to discuss temperatures in Fahrenheit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

I measure everything in elfmeters
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 20, 2021, 08:37:22 AM

Except speed.  Speed is measured in furlongs per fortnight.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on September 20, 2021, 08:33:48 AM
I've got zero concept of fahrenheit - except for 100 degrees for several days = heatwave :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2021, 06:13:12 AM
As mentioned however its pure feet. That the sub units are inches I think many don't even realise.
Just as with stone the relationship with pounds is nebulous.
I definitely don't think they are though with inches and feet because a foot is a ruler length which is twelve inches - or, roughly, 30cm.

14 lb to a stone is also something I know, but I don't know how widely it's known.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2021, 09:30:50 AM
I've got zero concept of fahrenheit - except for 100 degrees for several days = heatwave :blush:

Well what else is there to know?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2021, 09:32:04 AM
As mentioned however its pure feet. That the sub units are inches I think many don't even realise.
I definitely don't think they are though with inches and feet because a foot is a ruler length which is twelve inches - or, roughly, 30cm.

14 lb to a stone is also something I know, but I don't know how widely it's known.

All this square ounce per hobbit's feet stuff makes about as much sense as scoring in tennis.

Sheilbh

Yeah, which is why you just learn it at school/from parents. That's how I know it, but with feet and stone I know the link.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2021, 09:42:05 AM
Yeah, which is why you just learn it at school/from parents. That's how I know it, but with feet and stone I know the link.

Or people could just join the rest of the world in using the decimal system. :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 20, 2021, 08:37:22 AM

Rightly so, specially in a German context, since even Brits as Tyr forgot about yards.  :smarty:

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2021, 09:32:04 AM

This is honestly the first time I've realised standard rulers are a foot long.
I learned from an early age just to ignore the inch side for the devious trap that it is.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on September 20, 2021, 10:01:05 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2021, 09:42:05 AM

Or people could just join the rest of the world in using the decimal system. :P

Their currency was decimalised long ago.  :P
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_Day

[spoiler]Yes, you probably meant SI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units [/spoiler]

garbon

I caused issues making sure I converted things to celsius only having them ask what is that in F. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

I must admit my feeling for the meaning of Fahrenheit temperatures had wained to uselessness by the time I reached 30; although I still feel instinctively that a nice summer's day should have a temperature range in the Seventies, not the low Twenties.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

I bought a waffle iron last week.  tasty, tasty waffles.

Here we come a-waffling
Among the leaves so green;
Here we come a-waffling
So fair to be seen.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017