News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

What's the problem with the rainbow as a symbol? That it excludes brown people?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 15, 2021, 05:22:57 AM
Oh I'm mainly joking :blush:

But yeah it's become a bit of an NHS symbol here but I think started in the same way about covid.
I'm sure I recall some rumblings last year that some believed it was being spread by people who knew what they were doing and were pushing it specifically to steal it from the gays.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Wasn't sure whether to put this into Brexit, or games or whatever, so I put it here. I feel it may be relevant to the interests of some people here. :P

https://twitter.com/letshugbro/status/1438110445613760513?s=20

QuoteDr. Doom Daddy
@letshugbro
·
16m
On September 24th, Margaret Thatcher will rise from her grave. Only you can send her back to Hell.

3D: Doom Daddy Digital is proud to present 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐑'𝐒 𝐓𝐄𝐂𝐇𝐁𝐀𝐒𝐄, a new 𝙳𝙾𝙾𝙼 adventure for PC, Mac, Linux and whatever the hell you want to try running it on.

(Tweet contains trailer video)

Itch IO link: https://thatchers-techbase.github.io/

QuoteTHE DEAD SPEAK!

The world has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of revenge in the sinister voice of the late BARONESS MARGARET THATCHER.

Faced with the return of one of humanity's greatest threats, you have no choice but to head to THE TENTH CIRCLE OF HELL:

THE UNITED KINGDOM OF
GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND

And investigate the underworld fortress known only as...

THATCHER'S TECHBASE

I appreciate the Rise of Skywalker reference in the text. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Tyr's side project revealed.  :D

Tamas

Josquius

Terrifying

Just to confirm :this is fiction and the concrete sarcophagus hasn't cracked?
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Could explain BB's behaviour over the last couple of days.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

These Israelis are probably retired now, just when we need them the most.  :(

Sheilbh

:hmm:

Not sure about ROTW? Yanks, Canadians, Euros?

For me 18-19 September is definitely "this weekend", the weekend after is "next weekend".

Apparently according to the internet in Nigeria it's, say, "Wednesday" for the one coming and then "upper Wednesday" for the one after which I quite like.

I'd love to know what they say in Indian English because it tends to be really creative/interesting but normally in a very sensible/logical way - so for example I love "pre-pone" which is used as the opposite of "post-pone", to bring a meeting forward.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

In the UK, the motorway lane furthest away from the outer edge of the motorway (i.e. the most inward lane) is called the outside lane, and the most outward lane is called the inside lane, so I am not surprised one bit that this is a question. :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on September 16, 2021, 09:42:34 AM
In the UK, the motorway lane furthest away from the outer edge of the motorway (i.e. the most inward lane) is called the outside lane, and the most outward lane is called the inside lane, so I am not surprised one bit that this is a question. :P
One similar one I was thinking of in relation to post-pone/pre-pone is why moving a meeting/event to an earlier time is called "bringing it forward". Because if you're looking at the time as a separate thing moving in a linear fashion we'de be moving it back (from the future to closer to the present). It maybe because from our subjective perspective it is - because I suppose we are moving it forward to it clashing with us/the present.

But yeah it sent me down a lot of thinking around how we understand time (at least in English - I know other languages look at time differently) and not to get all Sapir-Whorf if it means something :hmm:

Edit: And on the inside lane isn't that because it's inside in relation to where you're allowed to drive - the other lanes are for overtaking? Which is a similar point - are you looking at the motorway as an objective, independent thing or just in relation to where you the driver are/should be :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

En fin de semaine - this weekend.
Le weekend prochain - next weekend.

France has influenced us enough that we now use fin de semaine and weekend interchangeably.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

I guess but I don't see it.

When you are in the so called "inside" lane, there is traffic only on your right. When you are in the "outside" lane, there is parallel traffic on your left, but also the (divided off, but still) opposite traffic on your right. So you are in the literal middle of it when you are in the "outside" lane and on the edge of it when you are on the "inside" lane.

PDH

It's because you drive on the wrong side of the road.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM