News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 13, 2020, 12:28:38 PM
The Senator from Texas just said Citizens United was about the Federal Government being able to ban books.

edit: He must be saying that because the people who vote Republican won't know any better?

Which one?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Sorry, Cruz - he is the one on the Judicial Committee  :)

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 13, 2020, 12:22:01 PM
The US process of confirming a nomination to the Supreme Court has become untenable.  Senators on both sides who have little knowledge of the law are engaging in lengthy and simplistic characterizations of the law.  I feel a great deal of sympathy for this nominee and admire her restraint in just not telling a number of senators that their questions don't make much sense.

I hope fixing that will be high on bidens list. It's clear they're just taking the piss with the current candidate and can't really see a way back
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 13, 2020, 01:24:28 PM
Sorry, Cruz - he is the one on the Judicial Committee  :)

Ah. Well he kind of lives in his own little world where his version of God and himself are basically the same person. So him deciding that in fact that decision was about good and righteousness, and willing that version of reality into existance, is not surprising.

Cornyn is not as idiotic, but cynical. I had to know which that was :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on October 13, 2020, 01:31:58 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 13, 2020, 12:22:01 PM
The US process of confirming a nomination to the Supreme Court has become untenable.  Senators on both sides who have little knowledge of the law are engaging in lengthy and simplistic characterizations of the law.  I feel a great deal of sympathy for this nominee and admire her restraint in just not telling a number of senators that their questions don't make much sense.

I hope fixing that will be high on bidens list. It's clear they're just taking the piss with the current candidate and can't really see a way back

Fixing it is going to be up to the Senate.  One of the things that needs to be fixed is for Senators to understand what this process is supposed to be.  It is the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee who are acting the way they are during this confirmation hearing.  Democrats keep asking her about policy decisions and keep misrepresenting her academic writings as policy statements rather than legal analysis related to the jurisprudential interpretive issues.

If they have concerns about her legal chops then ask about that. 

Syt

In last weekend's election, there was only one voting parish where the FPÖ was the strongest party:

It's in the 16th district, a set of buildings where mostly police live. It's known as "Polizeisprengel" or police voting parish.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Hardly surprising. Over here Vox tends to do better in the neighbourhods with Guardia Civil barracks.

Josquius

They really need to fix their recruitment
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on October 13, 2020, 04:01:31 PM

My guess is police and similar are pretty useful to such organizations.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

What's police work? You get to deal with the lowest refuse of society and with menial administration daily, and be in physical danger often while doing it, it is utter shit. Except, you do get to boss people around in a uniform.

Not all policemen are far-right, obviously, but if you are far-right with the frustrations and turn-ons that usually entails, the police is a very obvious career choice.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on October 13, 2020, 04:15:58 PM

What's police work? You get to deal with the lowest refuse of society and with menial administration daily, and be in physical danger often while doing it, it is utter shit. Except, you do get to boss people around in a uniform.

Not all policemen are far-right, obviously, but if you are far-right with the frustrations and turn-ons that usually entails, the police is a very obvious career choice.

I do respect police work (heck, I have a couple of policemen friends - incidentally one of them writes horror novels which might be related but I digress  :lol:), but I have always thought you have to be a little "special" to apply to be riot police. It's essentially (even if not only) about getting up close and personal with rowdy people while wearing body armor.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on October 13, 2020, 04:21:22 PM
I do respect police work (heck, I have a couple of policemen friends - incidentally one of them writes horror novels which might be related but I digress  :lol:), but I have always thought you have to be a little "special" to apply to be riot police. It's essentially (even if not only) about getting up close and personal with rowdy people while wearing body armor.
I've always thought the idea of, say, working for the FBI would be kind of cool. But we don't have anything like that despite numerous agencies occasionally branding themselves as "Britain's FBI" :lol:

I don't know any police officers but I can't see the appeal of the day-to-day job, especially in the UK where I imagine a very large part of the job will be dealing with the great British public in their cups and rowdy :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 13, 2020, 04:28:19 PM
I've always thought the idea of, say, working for the FBI would be kind of cool. But we don't have anything like that despite numerous agencies occasionally branding themselves as "Britain's FBI" :lol:

I don't know any police officers but I can't see the appeal of the day-to-day job, especially in the UK where I imagine a very large part of the job will be dealing with the great British public in their cups and rowdy :ph34r:

One of my friends is a CSI. He tells me it's super boring, since unlike in TV shows 95% of violent crimes are super-obvious and everybody knows the culprit before he even arrives, so his job is all menial stuff about collecting evidence and doing paperwork.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 13, 2020, 04:28:19 PM

To the surprise of probably no one I've known hundreds of cops.  Most  just in passing, but some better than others.  Some of the specialized units do some absolutely fascinating work - say your cyber-crime units, major crimes, homicide, or even your Ident work.

But every single cop has to start out doing shift work taking calls.  And that... doesn't sound like so much fun to me.  Dealing with no end of drunks and deadbeats.  Plus just working shiftwork itself.  Most cops try and get out to a more specialized unit as soon as they can.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Yeah, that's the problem most likely.
Being a detective or such would be cool, not to mention challenging and with a feeling of doing something good.
Being a regular constable for however many years you need before that... Less so.
██████
██████
██████