News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

QuoteDealing with no end of drunks and deadbeats.  Plus just working shiftwork itself.  Most cops try and get out to a more specialized unit as soon as they can.

Yeah I have two cops in my extended family. That right there is pretty much what they described. One got into an office-based role ASAP the other managed to become a crime scene investigator.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 13, 2020, 04:28:19 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 13, 2020, 04:21:22 PM
I do respect police work (heck, I have a couple of policemen friends - incidentally one of them writes horror novels which might be related but I digress  :lol:), but I have always thought you have to be a little "special" to apply to be riot police. It's essentially (even if not only) about getting up close and personal with rowdy people while wearing body armor.
I've always thought the idea of, say, working for the FBI would be kind of cool. But we don't have anything like that despite numerous agencies occasionally branding themselves as "Britain's FBI" :lol:

And I thought it was just all about Scotland Yard.  :(

The Larch

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 13, 2020, 04:52:19 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 13, 2020, 04:28:19 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 13, 2020, 04:21:22 PM
I do respect police work (heck, I have a couple of policemen friends - incidentally one of them writes horror novels which might be related but I digress  :lol:), but I have always thought you have to be a little "special" to apply to be riot police. It's essentially (even if not only) about getting up close and personal with rowdy people while wearing body armor.
I've always thought the idea of, say, working for the FBI would be kind of cool. But we don't have anything like that despite numerous agencies occasionally branding themselves as "Britain's FBI" :lol:

And I thought it was just all about Scotland Yard.  :(

And MI5.  :lol: Or was it MI6?  :hmm:

crazy canuck

So it looks like US senators of both parties have now decided that using props in the Senate chamber are entirely appropriate.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 14, 2020, 10:26:07 AM
So it looks like US senators of both parties have now decided that using props in the Senate chamber are entirely appropriate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_of_Charles_Sumner#/media/File%3ASouthern_Chivalry.jpg

Is this the past - or the future?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Check under your seat. Everyone gets props!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 14, 2020, 10:36:02 AM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_of_Charles_Sumner#/media/File%3ASouthern_Chivalry.jpg

Is this the past - or the future?  ;)

:lol:

grumbler

That's been true for  very long time.  CSPAN has made it worse, because now Senators and Congressmen can do stupid stuff just for the cameras while their chamber is not in session.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_KM9plQiNE&list=ULDUeBNpXif5o&index=12
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

I always find the props stuff weird. It feels like they all want to do a PowerPoint, but institutionally they're not ready for PowerPoint presentations in Congress :lol:

Edit: Incidentally I think maybe not in this type of hearing but I actually think PowerPoint or something similar could be a really useful tool in sort of committee level of legislatures. But would be an absolute mess in the general chamber.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 14, 2020, 11:23:24 AM

That's been true for  very long time.  CSPAN has made it worse, because now Senators and Congressmen can do stupid stuff just for the cameras while their chamber is not in session.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_KM9plQiNE&list=ULDUeBNpXif5o&index=12

Didnt realize that.

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 14, 2020, 11:28:25 AM
I always find the props stuff weird. It feels like they all want to do a PowerPoint, but institutionally they're not ready for PowerPoint presentations in Congress :lol:

Edit: Incidentally I think maybe not in this type of hearing but I actually think PowerPoint or something similar could be a really useful tool in sort of committee level of legislatures. But would be an absolute mess in the general chamber.

There was one senator who was using it just like a power point.  Everytime he mentioned a case he would point to where he had written the name of the case on a white board he was holding.  It looked ridiculous.

I wonder how much of this nonsense is geared to getting twitter and Instagram worthy pictures for their staff to post.

celedhring

Works for any profession that produces documents as the end result. I am: chaotic good

The Larch

Maladict

Neutral good / true neutral  :swiss:

Josquius

Apparently there's outrage about Gal Gadot being cast to play Cleopatra. This is white washing apparently.

....Yet... I'm seeing a lot of outrage about this outrage.
No actual outrage.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Cleopatra was Greek, she's played a character from the Greek mythology already.