News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I challenge the notion that there is no role for diverse characters in British period pieces unless we are talking about the middle ages but how often do those happen?

I mean the British kind of conquered 1/4 of the world. Lots of different sorts of people became British for many centuries and made their way to Blighty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2020, 02:40:42 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 15, 2020, 02:31:03 PM
I don't think society is ready for color blind casting in for instance 12 Years A Slave.

Yes...even in a stage play that might be going too far.

Dunno.  Patrick Stewart did an Othello in which he played Othello and every other cast member was black... without changing a word of the play.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2020, 03:09:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2020, 03:07:31 PM
:mellow:

I was poking fun of your use of the word "accept,"  as if it's an act of submission.

How is it not?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2020, 03:31:26 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2020, 02:40:42 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 15, 2020, 02:31:03 PM
I don't think society is ready for color blind casting in for instance 12 Years A Slave.

Yes...even in a stage play that might be going too far.

Dunno.  Patrick Stewart did an Othello in which he played Othello and every other cast member was black... without changing a word of the play.

I am aware and that was great! But 12 years as a slave might be different.

Or not. Maybe that would be awesome. But it might be a bad idea is all I am saying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2020, 03:31:26 PM
That's one of those productions I would have loved to see or wish was recorded. But I think race is important in Othello so you kind of need consistency so if you have a white Othello you need a non-white cast.

Especially as the blacked up approach taken in the 80s version with Anthony Hopkins is not going to fly - but is worth watching just for Bob Hoskins as Iago. He's incredible at switching from the bonhomie, friendly likeable Iago to the soliloquies where we see him (maybe).
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2020, 03:33:11 PM
I am aware and that was great! But 12 years as a slave might be different.

Or not. Maybe that would be awesome. But it might be a bad idea is all I am saying.

I agree that it's a risky idea.  The best plays take risks, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2020, 03:31:12 PM
I challenge the notion that there is no role for diverse characters in British period pieces unless we are talking about the middle ages but how often do those happen?

I mean the British kind of conquered 1/4 of the world. Lots of different sorts of people became British for many centuries and made their way to Blighty.
They're normally adaptations of British 19th century novels. I can think of some Victorian writers who did engage with Empire and race - Thackeray, Wilkie Collins, Emily and Charlotte Bronte. But they are generally minor characters (with the exception of the often white-washed Heathcliff).

If you're looking at Dickens, Thackeray, Austen, Eliot the big-hitters who are adapted at least once a year for one of the channels there are no non-white characters I can think of. You could include non-white people as minor characters or in the background and you're right that would have grounds in historical accuracy. But clerk #3 doesn't strike me as the meaty sort of role that would excite, say Riz Ahmed or frankly be worthy of his talent.

The period drama issue is something that all of those actors and I think Idris Elba specifically have said is an issue if you're a film/TV actor in the UK and you're not white.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 15, 2020, 03:30:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2020, 03:27:45 PM
QuoteOkay - interesting. I think part of this may be that I did English at university. So I think for biopics there's an obvious case for non-colourblind casting, but there are potentially real figures - like Cleopatra, Antony, Julius Caesar, the Henrys, Robin Hood - that I almost don't see this as a biopic or a historical film. They are literary characters. And I don't really see the difference between film and play.

Are we talking about the Shakespeare plays? Because again I feel totally different about theatre. The medium matters a lot.
No - although out of interest how would you feel about a film adaptation of a Shakespeare play?

Denzel Washington as Prince Pedro of Aragón in Kenneth Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing comes to mind.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on October 15, 2020, 03:44:24 PM
Denzel Washington as Prince Pedro of Aragón in Kenneth Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing comes to mind.  :P

Love that film  :Embarrass: :blush:

Genuinely think it's maybe Branagh's best and that he is at his best when he's in a comic role.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

There was an all black BBC production of Julius Caesar a few years back that was quite awesome.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

I was thinking about possible black historical roles, and i wonder why no one has made a movie about Patrice Lumumba.

The Larch

Shakespeare plays and films based on those plays would be a perfect spot for colour blind casting, IMO. The characters and settings are mostly fanciful and have a very tenuous relationship with historical reality, so the presence of non white actors can be easily handwaved away.

The Brain

I want to watch the black Mannerheim movie, haven't gotten around to it yet. Anyone know where I can get it? :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2020, 03:55:41 PM
I was thinking about possible black historical roles, and i wonder why no one has made a movie about Patrice Lumumba.
Would watch :o
Let's bomb Russia!