Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2019, 02:53:49 PM
Ah. Well then perhaps you have never seen the glory of the Rosencopter:

What a glorious fumble.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 11, 2019, 05:15:33 PM
What a glorious fumble.

Well it is the Houston Texans. That fumble represents the most exciting moment in the history of the franchise.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Camerus

Seems that Roger Scruton story was a bit of a smear piece, mining quotes out of context to discredit the man. For example, the full quote on Jews was:

Quote'The Jewish minority (here in Hungary) that survived the Nazi occupation suffered further persecution under the communists, but nevertheless is active in making its presence known. Many of the Budapest intelligentsia are Jewish, and form part of the extensive networks around the Soros Empire. People in these networks include many who are rightly suspicious of nationalism, regard nationalism as the major cause of the tragedy of Central Europe in the 20th century, and do not distinguish nationalism from the kind of national loyalty that I have defended in this talk. Moreover, as the world knows, indigenous anti-Semitism still plays a part in Hungarian society and politics, and presents an obstacle to the emergence of a shared national loyalty among ethnic Hungarians and Jews.'

Says Roger: 
QuoteIn retrospect I could have chosen the words more carefully. But my purpose was to point out that anti-Semitism has become an issue in Hungary, and an obstacle to a shared national identity.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/04/roger-scruton-an-apology-for-thinking/

Josquius

A guy at work recently suffered the death of his dog after many years together.
He wasn't totally committed to getting a new dog but was convinced to visit a shelter and met a dog that he really liked and decided he wanted to adopt it.
But.
Shelter says no.
On the form they asked him to fill in he answered honestly that he also has a guinea pig and sometimes his 4 year old niece comes to visit.
This is apparently enough reason to stop the dog from going with him as he's a mystery and they don't know how he'd react around children and dogs can't be left alone with a guinea pig (like...duh?).
The guy asked his sister to take the guinea pig and phoned the shelter to inform them of this and ask whether he'd be allowed the dog.
They say no.
In fact he is totally banned from getting any dog from them.
This is just insane. They would rather keep the dog in a shelter than in a nice home for no good reason.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2019, 08:29:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2019, 04:56:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2019, 01:35:27 PM
Not sports. :contract:

:huh:

FFS PEOPLE:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x58uv3z

IT'S LIKE ONE OF THE OLDEST JOKES EVER

There are a lot of things people used to say that were questionable then and stupid to repeat now.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2019, 04:58:55 PM

FFS PEOPLE:

There are a lot of things people used to say that were questionable then and stupid to repeat now.

I've seen "Jews eat the blood of babies" jokes on Languish 100s of times.  But you imply that Jews aren't good athletes and I get the PC police out after me. :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Stop doubling down.  You had to explain your joke to languish, that should have been your first hint.

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2019, 04:33:56 PM
The Super Bowl MVP this year was a Jew. :cool:

Also the first person to get suspended for PEDs the year he became super bowl MVP.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on April 12, 2019, 02:57:36 PM
A guy at work recently suffered the death of his dog after many years together.
He wasn't totally committed to getting a new dog but was convinced to visit a shelter and met a dog that he really liked and decided he wanted to adopt it.
But.
Shelter says no.
On the form they asked him to fill in he answered honestly that he also has a guinea pig and sometimes his 4 year old niece comes to visit.
This is apparently enough reason to stop the dog from going with him as he's a mystery and they don't know how he'd react around children and dogs can't be left alone with a guinea pig (like...duh?).
The guy asked his sister to take the guinea pig and phoned the shelter to inform them of this and ask whether he'd be allowed the dog.
They say no.
In fact he is totally banned from getting any dog from them.
This is just insane. They would rather keep the dog in a shelter than in a nice home for no good reason.

My brother had a colony of pet gerbils.  They stank, they were ugly, and they'd cannibalize each other despite having plenty of food.  One day a gerbil escaped any my dog stepped on it.  It wasn't a very large dog, maybe 12 pounds, but it killed the gerbil.  I gave the dog a treat after that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/12/us/andrew-chael-katie-bouman-black-hole-image-trnd/index.html

QuoteWhen internet trolls tried to detract from Katherine Bouman's rise to stardom for her part in creating the first image of a black hole, her colleague quickly shut them down.

Bouman, 29, created one of the algorithms that led to the groundbreaking black hole image. She also helped develop the imaging and verification process.
However, a nasty corner of the internet tried to downplay Bouman's role and started spreading posts claiming that Andrew Chael -- a white male scientist -- was actually the mastermind behind the project.
The misleading posts, on Reddit and Twitter, said Chael alone had authored "850,000 of the 900,000 lines of code that were written in the historic black-hole image algorithm!"

However, the effort quickly backfired.
Though it may have been nice to receive more recognition, Chael immediately took to Twitter to explain that the online trolls had exaggerated his contributions, and he defended Bouman's work. In addition, Chael said that as an openly gay man, he is also an underrepresented demographic in STEM.
"Once I realized that many online commentators were using my name and image to advance a sexist agenda to claim that Katie's leading role in our global team was invented, I felt I should say something to make it clear I rejected that view," Chael told CNN.
Chael disputed the incorrect posts
"I did not write "850,000 lines of code" -- many of those "lines" tracked by github are in model files," Chael said in his tweets. "There are about 68,000 lines in the current software, and I don't care how many of those I personally authored."

The Harvard University graduate student also criticized the sexist attacks against his colleague, especially when science is such a male-dominated field.
"While I appreciate the congratulations on a result that I worked hard on for years, if you are congratulating me because you have a sexist vendetta against Katie, please go away and reconsider your priorities in life," Chael wrote.
Chael wrote the code for one of three scripted code pipelines that scientists used to transform telescope data into a coherent image.
He hopes Bouman's story inspires more women to seek out opportunities in radio astronomy.
"I still recognize that we as a collaboration and a field have work to do to build that representation ourselves," Chael told CNN.
Bouman has emphasized collaboration

Though Bouman has received a lot of attention, she has maintained that the black hole image was the product of teamwork.
"No one of us could've done it alone," Bouman told CNN. "It came together because of lots of different people from many backgrounds."
The Event Horizon Telescope project was composed of an international team of more than 200 researchers.

What the fuck is wrong with people?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2019, 06:34:03 PM

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/12/us/andrew-chael-katie-bouman-black-hole-image-trnd/index.html

QuoteWhen internet trolls tried to detract from Katherine Bouman's rise to stardom for her part in creating the first image of a black hole, her colleague quickly shut them down.

Bouman, 29, created one of the algorithms that led to the groundbreaking black hole image. She also helped develop the imaging and verification process.
However, a nasty corner of the internet tried to downplay Bouman's role and started spreading posts claiming that Andrew Chael -- a white male scientist -- was actually the mastermind behind the project.
The misleading posts, on Reddit and Twitter, said Chael alone had authored "850,000 of the 900,000 lines of code that were written in the historic black-hole image algorithm!"

Though it may have been nice to receive more recognition, Chael immediately took to Twitter to explain that the online trolls had exaggerated his contributions, and he defended Bouman's work. In addition, Chael said that as an openly gay man, he is also an underrepresented demographic in STEM.
"Once I realized that many online commentators were using my name and image to advance a sexist agenda to claim that Katie's leading role in our global team was invented, I felt I should say something to make it clear I rejected that view," Chael told CNN.
"I did not write "850,000 lines of code" -- many of those "lines" tracked by github are in model files," Chael said in his tweets. "There are about 68,000 lines in the current software, and I don't care how many of those I personally authored."

The Harvard University graduate student also criticized the sexist attacks against his colleague, especially when science is such a male-dominated field.
"While I appreciate the congratulations on a result that I worked hard on for years, if you are congratulating me because you have a sexist vendetta against Katie, please go away and reconsider your priorities in life," Chael wrote.
Chael wrote the code for one of three scripted code pipelines that scientists used to transform telescope data into a coherent image.
He hopes Bouman's story inspires more women to seek out opportunities in radio astronomy.
"I still recognize that we as a collaboration and a field have work to do to build that representation ourselves," Chael told CNN.

Though Bouman has received a lot of attention, she has maintained that the black hole image was the product of teamwork.
"No one of us could've done it alone," Bouman told CNN. "It came together because of lots of different people from many backgrounds."
The Event Horizon Telescope project was composed of an international team of more than 200 researchers.

IMO, social media
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

They're on the the march in many Western countries, here's an acquaintance of mine, a speaker in Hyde Park, being attacked and silenced last month by the Tommy Robinson/(UKIP) 'March for Freedom':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46s6TjTy7uY&feature=player_embedded

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2019, 05:01:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2019, 04:58:55 PM

FFS PEOPLE:

I've seen "Jews eat the blood of babies" jokes on Languish 100s of times.  But you imply that Jews aren't good athletes and I get the PC police out after me. :P

Welcome to Woke Languish, son.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on April 12, 2019, 07:00:46 PM

They're on the the march in many Western countries, here's an acquaintance of mine, a speaker in Hyde Park, being attacked and silenced last month by the Tommy Robinson/(UKIP) 'March for Freedom':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46s6TjTy7uY&feature=player_embedded

Why are they surrounding and shouting him down? Whats he saying?

Last weekend I went to a counter demo against a neo nazi march. The police really sided with the nazis. <_<

One thing I noticed- they always seem to be filming a lot on their phones for some reason.
██████
██████
██████