And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 17, 2019, 12:10:18 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 16, 2019, 11:55:53 PM
Now I'm curious - is garburator (which doesn't get red underlined when I typed it) just a Canadian term?  I thought that was pretty standard. :huh:

It's right up there with parkade. :uffda:

What's wrong with parkade? :huh:  Are you implying it's not a standard word? :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on May 17, 2019, 01:02:50 AM
Now I'm curious - is garburator (which doesn't get red underlined when I typed it) just a Canadian term?  I thought that was pretty standard. :huh:

What's wrong with parkade? :huh:  Are you implying it's not a standard word? :huh:

Google shows it as Canadian and South African.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: DGuller on May 16, 2019, 11:52:01 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2019, 09:34:31 AM
Okay, fixed.  Speaking of AOC, did you guys see where she was baffled & mystified by a food disposal?  Yes, yes, I'm sure it was all just a joke on her part that was way over my head :D
I don't get why she's a subject of manic attention by the usual suspects.  As far as garbage disposal, I've never seen one either, I never had it in any of the apartments I lived in.  I think the usual morons are failing to realize that some appliances are far less common in cities than where they live.

According to Wikipedia, about half of US homes have garbage disposals, but it doesn't provide any sort of regional breakdown.  However, it does mention that they were banned in NYC until 1997, so I expect that they are quite uncommon there, which explains AOC's unfamiliarity with them.  So it's not fair to mock her for that unfamiliarity.

Also, according to Wiki, "garburator" is a Canadian term.  I'd never heard it before.  And I had to look up what the heck a "parkade" is.  Turns out it's a Canadian term for a parking garage.   I would have guess it was a Canadian brand of margarine.  :)

EDIT:  BTW, my spellchecker underlined "parkade" but not "garburator", FWIW.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 16, 2019, 04:43:29 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2019, 12:38:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2019, 11:04:56 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2019, 10:17:32 AM
Suit yourself.

I am annoyed she gets so much attention, so I would find it very annoying to be part of the problem :P

I don't talk about her very often.  But the food disposal thing was just too much.

Question:  Where did you first hear about it?

A buddy of mine told me to go check out her Tweet.  Sorry, probably not the answer you wanted.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Where I work, all new residential constructions must have garbage disposals in the kitchen. Where I live, that's strictly forbidden. Always found that very funny.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on May 17, 2019, 01:02:50 AM

Cannot recall ever hearing it used until now.  :sleep:

Tonitrus

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 17, 2019, 08:05:51 AM
Where I work, all new residential constructions must have garbage disposals in the kitchen. Where I live, that's strictly forbidden. Always found that very funny.

Some people tend to think they can just do things like peel their potatoes into the sink and the disposal will take care of it all.*

*I did this once when I was young and stupid.

crazy canuck

I would also be baffled by a garbage disposal.  I would be looking for the garburator.  Eventually I would just leave, walk to my car in the parkade and drive away.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 17, 2019, 10:30:23 AM
I would also be baffled by a garbage disposal.  I would be looking for the garburator.  Eventually I would just leave, walk to my car in the parkade and drive away.

Drive away on the parkway and park in the driveway when you get home
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

Quote from: HVC on May 17, 2019, 10:38:31 AM

Eh.

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 17, 2019, 08:05:51 AM

That's hilarious.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on May 17, 2019, 10:38:31 AM

I prefer to take the freeway but I will certainly part in my driveway, unless I need to charge my car in which case I will park in my garage where the charger is located. I think Americans call it a garage also though.

Liep

Sweden wins the Eurovision again
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

UK places last again.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk