News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I suspect a majority of the people who desire public office are male.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on May 20, 2019, 06:58:59 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 20, 2019, 06:12:02 PM
Its forced. There's little room to maneuver if you suddenly have far more good male candidates than female candidates (or vice-versa).
40% gives you equality but with wiggle room to make sure you can choose the best people rather than just blindly going for equality.

If you are talking ten people, sure.  If 100, false.

Flip a fair coin 100 times, and there is about a 5% chance that the number of heads will be less than 40 or more than 60.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on May 21, 2019, 10:10:58 AM
Flip a fair coin 100 times, and there is about a 5% chance that the number of heads will be less than 40 or more than 60. 

Thanks.  Next time I am tossing a fair coin 100 times, I'll remember that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Grumbler always uses unevenly weighted coins.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

European song, recorded by comedians(?) from across Europe.

https://www.zdf.de/comedy/neo-magazin-mit-jan-boehmermann/europa-song-deutschland-ist-klein-europa-ist-gross-100.html

Thanks to Tamas I understood the references by the Hungarian. :P

Loved the Swiss guy at the end. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Tornado tore through Jefferson City about two hours ago.  Hit some apartment complexes.  Sounds like there are fatalities and people trapped.  Won't know for certain until morning.  There are photos of a few businesses that were torn up pretty bad.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDeQoJPy_qI

More Michael Avenatti shenanigans.  Charged with forging Stormy's signature and stealing a $300,000 book advance.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2019, 01:32:24 PM
European song, recorded by comedians(?) from across Europe.

https://www.zdf.de/comedy/neo-magazin-mit-jan-boehmermann/europa-song-deutschland-ist-klein-europa-ist-gross-100.html

Thanks to Tamas I understood the references by the Hungarian. :P

Loved the Swiss guy at the end. :D

Do they know it's Europe and they put all of Turkey. FAIL

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on May 23, 2019, 01:50:43 AM
Tornado tore through Jefferson City about two hours ago.  Hit some apartment complexes.  Sounds like there are fatalities and people trapped.  Won't know for certain until morning.  There are photos of a few businesses that were torn up pretty bad.

No fatalities, though there is significant damage to both commercial and residential buildings.  We were the top story on CNN's webpage!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Liep

Traffic jam on the top of Mount Everest.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on May 23, 2019, 03:48:51 PM
Traffic jam on the top of Mount Everest.

every year this gets worse... sort of like my commute.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

The American Beauty qualification to the Labor Code.

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on May 23, 2019, 05:04:52 PM
Court rules its OK to fire a man for wanking in the toilet.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/masturbating-in-a-bathroom-stall-at-work-is-grounds-for-firing-nova-scotia-labour-arbitrator-rule

Wait...is that wrong? Should I not do that? Because if I knew this sort of thing was frowned upon...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."