And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2019, 03:40:19 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 28, 2019, 03:29:47 PM
Many of my friends were raving and sharing it on FB these days. I also liked it...but shudder at what implies. That is, that if you're familiar with the cartoon, at this point in your life you should be thinking about buying a SUV fit for a family.  :P

That show ran from 1983-1985.  If you're old enough to remember it why wouldn't you already have a family-sized vehicle? :P

What about later runs, specially abroad?  :P
Not to mention much later re-runs.

Barrister

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 28, 2019, 04:33:19 PM
Many of my friends were raving and sharing it on FB these days. I also liked it...but shudder at what implies. That is, that if you're familiar with the cartoon, at this point in your life you should be thinking about buying a SUV fit for a family.  :P

That show ran from 1983-1985.  If you're old enough to remember it why wouldn't you already have a family-sized vehicle? :P

Yer still old. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on May 28, 2019, 04:32:02 PM
Who is supposed to be outraged in this scenario?  The British, the Romans or the Africans?

Modern people listening to this podcast and being manipulated through bad analogies.

QuotePersonally, I think the myth of the civilizing Romans bringing enlightenment to the peoples of the world is bullshit.  Harmful bullshit.

I would agree that it is bullshit. But even in the mythology most of the people the Romans conquered were already civilized even by their standards.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I'm not offended and I don't think comparing the European Empires of the 15th-20th century is wrongheaded.  Especially since the later Europeans used the myths of Roman civilization to justify what they did.  I do have a anti-Roman bias.  I'm surprised that more historians don't after going through Latin declension tables.  Blah.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on May 28, 2019, 06:58:43 PM
I'm not offended and I don't think comparing the European Empires of the 15th-20th century is wrongheaded.

I was only discussing this particular podcast and how he did it.

I do not think it is very worthwhile to compare them personally. Rome was fighting neighbors who, for the most part, could actually be potential threats and rivals to them. After all the people they didn't conquer just attacked them endlessly, often for no other reason than they were there. And both sides were mostly just armed with swords.

It was unlikely the Nigerians were going to be that for 19th Century Britain.

I think that comparison kind of falls apart as a direct comparison besides the fact that Roman Imperial glory was often an inspiration and they were all empires.

However you probably can do a comparison and make it interesting.

QuoteEspecially since the later Europeans used the myths of Roman civilization to justify what they did.  I do have a anti-Roman bias.  I'm surprised that more historians don't after going through Latin declension tables.  Blah.

I don't think they used it as a justification. After all most of them rejected Roman civilization as inferior to mighty Germanic warriors.

Anyway having an anti-Roman bias is fine, especially when doing a podcast about a place they conquered. But at least try to give a balanced account instead of having an agenda to convince me the Romans sucked. If you love the Romans, that's cool, but I certainly wouldn't want hours of Roman fanboying either.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2019, 08:48:41 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 28, 2019, 06:58:43 PM
I'm not offended and I don't think comparing the European Empires of the 15th-20th century is wrongheaded.

I was only discussing this particular podcast and how he did it.

I do not think it is very worthwhile to compare them personally. Rome was fighting neighbors who, for the most part, could actually be potential threats and rivals to them. After all the people they didn't conquer just attacked them endlessly, often for no other reason than they were there. And both sides were mostly just armed with swords.

It was unlikely the Nigerians were going to be that for 19th Century Britain.

I think that comparison kind of falls apart as a direct comparison besides the fact that Roman Imperial glory was often an inspiration and they were all empires.

However you probably can do a comparison and make it interesting.

QuoteEspecially since the later Europeans used the myths of Roman civilization to justify what they did.  I do have a anti-Roman bias.  I'm surprised that more historians don't after going through Latin declension tables.  Blah.

I don't think they used it as a justification. After all most of them rejected Roman civilization as inferior to mighty Germanic warriors.

Anyway having an anti-Roman bias is fine, especially when doing a podcast about a place they conquered. But at least try to give a balanced account instead of having an agenda to convince me the Romans sucked. If you love the Romans, that's cool, but I certainly wouldn't want hours of Roman fanboying either.

What have podcasters ever done for us?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on May 28, 2019, 08:53:02 PM
What have podcasters ever done for us?

Well there is Dan Carlin's Wrath of the Khans...

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2019, 04:54:23 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 28, 2019, 04:33:19 PM

Yer still old. :contract:

You are still older.  :contract:

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Damn, missed a diplomatic event yesterday.

QuoteEmbaCubaAustria
@EmbaCubaAustria

The Cuban Rum & Cigar Evening will take place this 28 May, in #Vienna, sponsored by @EmbaCubaAustria and the contribution of #HavanaClub and Habanos´ representatives and suppliers for the Austrian market. We invite you to enjoy the aroma and flavors from the Caribbean Island
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on May 29, 2019, 09:40:45 AM
Damn, missed a diplomatic event yesterday.

QuoteEmbaCubaAustria
@EmbaCubaAustria

The Cuban Rum & Cigar Evening will take place this 28 May, in #Vienna, sponsored by @EmbaCubaAustria and the contribution of #HavanaClub and Habanos´ representatives and suppliers for the Austrian market. We invite you to enjoy the aroma and flavors from the Caribbean Island

From people I know that have been to Havana, I'm not sure I really want to experience the aroma of Cuba.

That said, bring on the cigars & rum :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Just finished a 2 hour bike ride.
Damn my legs are knackered.
Experienced major gear trouble with my bike along the way which meant for most of it I was pretty stuck in medium-high gear. My old bike also had similar troubles. I suspect the problem is me. There must be something you're meant to do when switching gears that I have not been doing :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on June 01, 2019, 09:24:00 AM
Experienced major gear trouble with my bike along the way which meant for most of it I was pretty stuck in medium-high gear. My old bike also had similar troubles. I suspect the problem is me. There must be something you're meant to do when switching gears that I have not been doing :hmm:

Hub gears or derailleur?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Quote from: Liep on June 01, 2019, 09:27:00 AM

Hub gears or derailleur?

Googling what these things are... derailleur I think.

██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on June 01, 2019, 09:35:45 AM
Quote from: Liep on June 01, 2019, 09:27:00 AM

Hub gears or derailleur?

Googling what these things are... derailleur I think.

Soapy water, rinse, lube. Can you go to higher than medium high or is it stuck on one cog?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk