News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Who's jacked off at work?  Quick show of hands.

Habbaku

I think their hands might be busy.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2019, 08:11:29 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 23, 2019, 05:04:52 PM
Court rules its OK to fire a man for wanking in the toilet.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/masturbating-in-a-bathroom-stall-at-work-is-grounds-for-firing-nova-scotia-labour-arbitrator-rule

Wait...is that wrong? Should I not do that? Because if I knew this sort of thing was frowned upon...

:D Can't Stand Ya!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PDH

What about helping someone else out in the stall?  Asking for a friend here.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on May 23, 2019, 05:04:52 PM
Court rules its OK to fire a man for wanking in the toilet.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/masturbating-in-a-bathroom-stall-at-work-is-grounds-for-firing-nova-scotia-labour-arbitrator-rule

Well, to be exact - fired for wanking in the toilet so loudly that it annoyed other people using the facilities!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

I was listening to The History of England (:bowler:) Podcast and the speaker mentioned that there were only about 10 words in the English language that come to us from Brittonic.  Wikipedia has a list, but some of them are of dubious origin.  (Interestingly, it seems that more words come to us from Gaulish than Brittonic as the Romans/Franks and ultimately Normans adopted more Gaulish words than the Anglo-Saxons did Brittonic.)  In any event, one place where the Brittonic language survived into the twentieth century was in the Yan, Tan, Tethera counting system used by shepherds.  Are any of the British posters familiar with this sort of counting system?

Some of the terms look suspect:  Yain-o-bumfitt, Yan-tic-a-bub, and Peddera-a-bumfit all look like code words for illicit acts made up to deceive Cromwell's religious police.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Threviel

Is that the excellent, extremely slow and Rome-hating podcast made by a ex-lawyer from the US?

Josquius

Quote from: Savonarola on May 24, 2019, 10:41:06 AM
I was listening to The History of England (:bowler:) Podcast and the speaker mentioned that there were only about 10 words in the English language that come to us from Brittonic.  Wikipedia has a list, but some of them are of dubious origin.  (Interestingly, it seems that more words come to us from Gaulish than Brittonic as the Romans/Franks and ultimately Normans adopted more Gaulish words than the Anglo-Saxons did Brittonic.)  In any event, one place where the Brittonic language survived into the twentieth century was in the Yan, Tan, Tethera counting system used by shepherds.  Are any of the British posters familiar with this sort of counting system?

Some of the terms look suspect:  Yain-o-bumfitt, Yan-tic-a-bub, and Peddera-a-bumfit all look like code words for illicit acts made up to deceive Cromwell's religious police.

I've heard of it, but never encountered it in reality.

My surname is Brythonic. We've a lot of names, place names et al from it at the least.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Threviel on May 24, 2019, 12:12:25 PM
Is that the excellent, extremely slow and Rome-hating podcast made by a ex-lawyer from the US?

I think that might be The British History Podcast.  This one begins with the Roman withdrawl from Britain.

So far this has been good; but I'm only on Episode 2. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on May 24, 2019, 12:33:40 PM

I think that might be The British History Podcast.  This one begins with the Roman withdrawl from Britain.

So far this has been good; but I'm only on Episode 2.

Southern or regular?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Yeah his Rome hating was really stupid. I mean nothing he said was wrong (well not technically, he had an annoying habit of saying vast generalizations that were not untrue but very misleading...which annoyed the fuck out of me) but dude get a grip. It made me doubt I was going to get much quality out of him with such an annoying bias and I could see it repeating with the Normans and whoever else he thought were icky and bad. So I checked out. I vastly prefer David Crowther.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on May 24, 2019, 12:31:51 PM

My surname is Brythonic. We've a lot of names, place names et al from it at the least.

Yeah, the Wikipedia article didn't cover place names.  "Thames," I believe, is a Britonic name.

I also learned from the podcast that "Wal" or "Wall" comes from the old English word for "Foreigner," but came to mean "Briton" (and "Slave".)  Hence "Wales" and "Cornwall" but it also came to be used in family names like "Walton," (maybe Wallace and Walpole as well? :unsure:)

Razgovory

Quote from: Savonarola on May 24, 2019, 02:44:03 PM

Yeah, the Wikipedia article didn't cover place names.  "Thames," I believe, is a Britonic name.

I also learned from the podcast that "Wal" or "Wall" comes from the old English word for "Foreigner," but came to mean "Briton" (and "Slave".)  Hence "Wales" and "Cornwall" but it also came to be used in family names like "Walton," (maybe Wallace and Walpole as well? :unsure: )

I know it does for Wallace, it also forms the root for the word Walnut.  It's not just found in Old English, it's also found in other Germanic languages.  It is the root for regions such as Walachia and Wallonia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on May 24, 2019, 02:44:03 PM

I also learned from the podcast that "Wal" or "Wall" comes from the old English word for "Foreigner," but came to mean "Briton" (and "Slave".)  Hence "Wales" and "Cornwall" but it also came to be used in family names like "Walton," (maybe Wallace and Walpole as well? :unsure:)

Germanic origin see Welsch. Came from a celtic tribe, meant foreigners specially Celts initially and eventually romance speakers. Gave Walloon in English too.