Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2019, 11:04:56 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2019, 10:17:32 AM
Suit yourself.

I am annoyed she gets so much attention, so I would find it very annoying to be part of the problem :P

I don't talk about her very often.  But the food disposal thing was just too much.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 16, 2019, 11:20:08 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2019, 11:15:30 AM
What's a food disposal?  Like a trash can? :unsure:

I think we normally call them garbage disposals (at least, that is the term I've always used).  It's the food grinder thingie many people have built into their sink.

Feels odd to call it a garbage disposal.  I don't put trash in there, just food.  Might be a regional thing.  Maybe there's a map :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2019, 12:28:50 PM
I think we normally call them garbage disposals (at least, that is the term I've always used).  It's the food grinder thingie many people have built into their sink.

It's like those Appalachians have a different word for everything.

Two SpiessPoints for the Steve Martin reference.

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on May 16, 2019, 11:54:04 AM
Michelle Obama's arms. 

Thanks for bringing that up.  Now I won't be able to get anything done at work today :( :wub:

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2019, 12:38:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2019, 11:04:56 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2019, 10:17:32 AM
Suit yourself.

I am annoyed she gets so much attention, so I would find it very annoying to be part of the problem :P

I don't talk about her very often.  But the food disposal thing was just too much.

Question:  Where did you first hear about it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2019, 12:28:50 PM

It's like those Appalachians have a different word for everything.

Maybe it's just a Huntington thing--we called 'em trash disposals or garbage disposals in the part of WV I come from, if we're actually talking about the grindy thing in the sink.

Barrister

I grew up calling them "garburators".

But honestly, I don't think I've seen one in the wild for 20 years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

I have one.  We call them garbage disposals here.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Oexmelin

Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2019, 12:38:57 PM

Good to see you keeping a sense of perspective.
Que le grand cric me croque !

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2019, 09:34:31 AM
Okay, fixed.  Speaking of AOC, did you guys see where she was baffled & mystified by a food disposal?  Yes, yes, I'm sure it was all just a joke on her part that was way over my head :D
I don't get why she's a subject of manic attention by the usual suspects.  As far as garbage disposal, I've never seen one either, I never had it in any of the apartments I lived in.  I think the usual morons are failing to realize that some appliances are far less common in cities than where they live.

Barrister

Now I'm curious - is garburator (which doesn't get red underlined when I typed it) just a Canadian term?  I thought that was pretty standard. :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on May 16, 2019, 11:52:01 PMI think the usual morons are failing to realize that some appliances are far less common in cities than where they live.

It's fair game. Rubes get mocked for their ignorance all the time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on May 16, 2019, 11:55:53 PM
Now I'm curious - is garburator (which doesn't get red underlined when I typed it) just a Canadian term?  I thought that was pretty standard. :huh:

It's right up there with parkade. :uffda:

Valmy

It is a garbage disposal where I live.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Garbage disposal or Dispose-all
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?